Starting a new "insta-tanks" With NP-Bacto-Balance? Plus-NP?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of upgrading 2 nano tanks into larger, not-nano tanks. I have had rubble/biomedia cooking in both existing tanks for months now, so the plan is to short cycle the new tanks with that media, copepods and phyto and start by moving a couple fish first to get things going in the new tanks, with coral following shortly thereafter.

Since I plan to move coral pretty early in the process I have been thinking about the lack of any real nitrate/phosphate. I'll have new Ocean Direct sand and the biomedia from the established (more than 2 years old) tanks, but I'm starting with dry rock and new water and, I'm assuming, almost no nutrients.

I was originally thinking about dosing nitrates and phosphates in the new tanks until I had reasonable levels, but then I started wondering if I might be better served with something like Plus-NP or NP-Bacto-Balance while I let the levels rise naturally in the new tanks.

I'm open to thoughts or suggestions. I'm still building aquascapes for the two new tanks, but plan to get them both up and running in the next few weeks.

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about sending an email to TM about this same exact thing. I had to break down 2 tanks for a remodel. I’m a month away from bringing them back online and I was thinking about getting the rock wet again and dosing bacto-balance daily to cycle the rock. My concern is if this is the only source of N and P would the carbon build up excessively?

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about possibly dosing nitrates and phosphates up to 5ppm/0.03ppm respectively. Once I start adding coral, maybe NP-Bacto-Balance would be the ticket to maintaining everything until it levels out naturally.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about possibly dosing nitrates and phosphates up to 5ppm/0.03ppm respectively. Once I start adding coral, maybe NP-Bacto-Balance would be the ticket to maintaining everything until it levels out naturally.
You could consider TM Plus-NP since you have corals. Once nutrients come up switch to NP-BB.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 41 43.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back