Plus-NP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 0 detectable po4 and n03 in my 120 gallon year old reef. I feed heavily (4 time a day) and have 7 fish and 5 LPS which all look good except the Duncan and Torch I would like a little deeper color if possible. I started using Plus-NP to try to get my nutrients up at 5ml, as per bottle and hair algae exploded with still no detectable po4 or NO3. I backed off to 1ml a day with no changes in nutrients or algae so I stopped altogether.

I have read that Plus-NP maynot be reflected in testing for po4 or NO3 (I could be mistaken on this).

Should I have continued to dose and hoped things turned around?

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, what do you do for filtration? Skimmer, socks, roller, fuge, GFO???

Seven fish in 120 is not a lot, I have 7 in 52 gal. but fish size can make a difference. Also I feed 4 times a day and I definitely have NO3 and PO4. My tank is somewhat packed with corals:
1714412220793.jpeg

1714412249116.jpeg

1714412365758.jpeg

But for filtration I only have skimmer.

In general if you system was limited in N, P or trace elements and you add them things will grow. Algae is one of those things that will grow on exposed surfaces unless they are covered by corals.

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am heavy on filtration based off future plans but have most of it scaled back. Here is what I have currently
  • 2 MarinePure 8x8x4 blocks (My LFS told me I had to have 2 in my sump on a 120, I don't go to that store anymore)
    • I have sliced 1 of the blocks into 1" thick slices when I figured out that 2 4" blocks was not the best approach.
  • Red Sea ReefMat 500
    • Only runs twice a day when my MP40's go into nutrient export mode
  • Old Skimz SN143 Skimmer that is set more for oxygen exchange then producing skimmate (air inlet is connected to an outside hose)
  • Small refugium with Chaeto and Ulva that only runs 4 hours a day with a AI Prime Fuge set at 50% primary for PH control and future growth/pods
  • UV that runs 12 hours at night

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup that is big part of your missing nutrients.

From my point of view the overall goal/ aim is for the corals to filter your water and you just supplement it when you want to make adjustments.

As I mentioned on my reef I only have skimmer and I use bit of GAC (Granular activated carbon) 2 tablespoons that I change every 4 weeks. I do carbon dose but even that is at 0.4ml of TM BB and my number for PO4/ NO3 are:
1714419516564.jpeg

My reefing approach is, I feed the fish, they produce coral food (fish poop) and the skimmer removes what is left over. Also my carbon dosing is intended to feed the bacteria and hopefully coral consume the bacteria, second food source for the corals.

You can make it work with your set up, but you are going to be in an odd position. Your system removes everything so now you are going to be dosing NO3/PO4 extra coral food, things to grow fuge etc… and that will be tough balancing act. The method you are following is LFS friendly, there is always another bottle they can sell to you.

In my opinion PlusNP will not get you where you want to go.

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup that is big part of your missing nutrients.

From my point of view the overall goal/ aim is for the corals to filter your water and you just supplement it when you want to make adjustments.

As I mentioned on my reef I only have skimmer and I use bit of GAC (Granular activated carbon) 2 tablespoons that I change every 4 weeks. I do carbon dose but even that is at 0.4ml of TM BB and my number for PO4/ NO3 are:
1714419516564.jpeg

My reefing approach is, I feed the fish, they produce coral food (fish poop) and the skimmer removes what is left over. Also my carbon dosing is intended to feed the bacteria and hopefully coral consume the bacteria, second food source for the corals.

You can make it work with your set up, but you are going to be in an odd position. Your system removes everything so now you are going to be dosing NO3/PO4 extra coral food, things to grow fuge etc… and that will be tough balancing act. The method you are following is LFS friendly, there is always another bottle they can sell to you.

In my opinion PlusNP will not get you where you want to go.
I appreciate your candor and what you are saying goes along with what I have read. I have everything setup for what the tank will eventually be (bioload wise) but I've been going real slow adding fish/coral.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back