Starting a new Nano! 13Gal thread

Tre719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I decided after years of medium/large reefs, I wanted to try my hand at a nano tank for my man cave.

-13 Gal Aquatop BFT-13 bow front.
Lights: AI Prime 16HD (I changed the light that comes with it. I want coral in this tank and the stock light wouldn't cut it)
Return Pump: Aquatop NP305 rated at 317GPH (Stock pump is super weak, barely breaks surface tension)
Skimmer: None, going to do weekly changes for now.
Substrate: Caribsea Fiji Pink at about 1.5-2"

My livestock plan is just the standard nano. 2 clowns (Probably the more prestigious variety) and maybe a basslet or goby etc. I want to stay in the soft coral range but I know that story all too well. I'll start with a hammer or frogspawn and a few zoas or something, and before I know it I have Acros and Montis all over the place, so we will see. Stay tuned for updates and drop some of your best Nano advice!!!

Nano Front.jpg Nano Side.jpg

OP
OP
Tre719

Tre719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2: Tested this afternoon after about 24Hrs running. Showing some ammonia (.25-.50), I'm assuming from the sand because I haven't ghost fed or added my normal raw shrimp as a source. The Nitrate looks orange in the picture but its showing zero. Going to add some MicroBacter7 today to kick this bacteria up. I'm taking note of the evaporation rate as well so I know when to start adding top off. Salinity is stable at 1.025 SG and the volume has dropped about a quarter of an inch. Coming from bigger tanks its unusual for me to see this much change (ammonia/evap etc.) in such a short amount of time. Usually I have the ATO running so its kind of something I've forgotten about keeping an eye on in the hobby and the ammonia already showing up on a test after 24hrs is foreign to me. I'll keep this going!

Day 2 Test.jpg Day 2 pic.jpg

OP
OP
Tre719

Tre719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3: no change, still testing around .25-.50 ammonia. No change to nitrite or nitrate. Cleaned the glass and turned the lights right back off.

Back