Starting a new tank

Jericho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to start a new tank in a few months. I am trying to research as much as possible before now and then. I am currently reading "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Saltwater Aquariums." what else should I read to study?

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the forums in the newbie section. There's more information on here than in any books...

Aside from studying... Remember to go slow and ask lots of questions. The people here are awesome and very helpful.

OP
OP
J

Jericho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading all the posts in the new tank forums. I am thinking of doing a 100-125g tank reef tank with a refugium tank and a sump. What sizes should I look into for the refugium and sump? What equipment do I have to have to get started? There will be many questions coming.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.. besides reading.. just start a new thread and asked any questions that may come up... Everyone is different and we all need our specific questions answered :wink: Goodluck and Enjoy!!

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to r2r, sounds like you are on the right track with learning and studying what you can before you start. As suggested some of the greatest help for me in starting this hobby has been spending time reading the forums and asking questions as they come up. Just remember to take your time, nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R and were here to help! Just ask!

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading all the posts in the new tank forums. I am thinking of doing a 100-125g tank reef tank with a refugium tank and a sump. What sizes should I look into for the refugium and sump? What equipment do I have to have to get started? There will be many questions coming.

I agree with reading the forums...they will give you a ton of insight on problems you may encounter as a new hobbyist. Find a few people that have nice tanks and don't mind answering
questions and hit them up every now and then. Above all, understand that you WILL have losses and frustrating events but try your best to enjoy and make every experience a lesson.

Now, of your specific questions about the sump/fuge...general rule is to get the largest sump possible that can realistically fit under your tank. The reasoning behind this is to increase our total water volume which will provide more stability in temp, parameters, etc. Keep in mind though that it's always a good idea to leave a little room under your tank for reactors, auto top off containers and other pieces of equipment you might want to add. One of the cheapest ways to incorporate a sump refugium is to buy a standard aquarium that easily fits under your tank(used if possible and in good condition) and add baffles with aquarium safe silicone. Glass baffles will hold better, but people have used plexiglass baffles and reinforced them w/ a lot of silicone.
Equipment needed for a basic set up:
tank/stand
lights(T5, MH or LED preferably)
return pump
power heads(50x turn over rate per min for total water volume is a good place to start)
skimmer
heater(redundancy is best, maybe a few smaller heaters instead one big one)
rock, live or dry(dry rock is way cheaper and a sure way to ensure you don't get hitch hikers)
sand(if that's the look you want)
a method of maintaining Calcium and Alkalinity(two part dosing, kalk, or calcium reactor)Kalk is cheapest!
and water!

Feel free to PM me with any other questions you have.

OP
OP
J

Jericho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I am looking for books to read, is I work an on-call schedule. I never know for sure when I am going out and when I will be back. This would give m a list of things to read while out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back