Starting a tank

reeflover48393

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 8, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
3
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I’ve never had a tank before, but I’m planning to start a 50–70 g saltwater tank. My goal is a beginner-friendly setup with:
• A mated pair of clownfish
• Cleaner shrimp
• Fighting conch
• Blue leg hermit crab

Planned Setup & Gear:
• Substrate: Live sand / aragonite (~1–2 inches)
• Rocks: Live rock for hiding spots & biological filtration
• Filtration: Hang-on-back or sump with optional protein skimmer
• Flow: Powerheads
• Heater: 76–80°F
• Lighting: Standard reef lighting

My Plan:
1. Set up tank & equipment
2. Cycle tank for 4–6 weeks (fishless cycling)
3. Add livestock slowly: conch & hermit crab → clownfish pair → cleaner shrimp
4. Maintain weekly: water tests, 10–20% water change monthly, top off with RO/DI water

Since this is my first tank, I’d love any tips on equipment, setup, or getting the cycle started smoothly. Any beginner-friendly advice is welcome!
 
Fighting Conchs are awesome-- but it might be (and hopefully will be) some months before your sandbed will have enough detritus to keep it sufficiently fed. Best wishes on your endeavor!
 
Last edited:
Congrats. I would strongly suggest an auto top off (ATO), it will be one of the best $100 you can spend on your tank.

I would also suggest an inkbird for your heater, this will protect against the heater malfunctioning and cooking or freezing your fish.

I would also suggest to get your own rodi unit and mix your own water.

If you've never owned a tank before, there will be lots of small things to buy. Buckets, extra towels, extra heater and powerhead to mix water, toothbrushes, turkey basters...... there's more I'm sure.

Good luck
 
Welcome to the Salty world! I highly recommend watching BRS 52 weeks of reefing on YouTube. Best of luck with your new adventure.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new