Starting an Aquarium Cleaning Business!

Cindy_B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I've been in the hobby for well over ten years now, and I have made the decision to finally move away from my current job and starting my own business.

The problem that I am running into is there isn't a lot of information on what you need to start the business! In the beginning I want to start with strictly aquarium installs/cleaning then move into having my own shop.

Are there any aquarium cleaners here in Florida that can shed some light on what licenses..etc that would be needed!

Thanks so much for any help loves.

- Cindy B

NicksMixedReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm good question but I'm guessing you'd need a business license and a tax id

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure your competition won't be too forthcoming with information. Talking to your local City Hall and an accountant should help you out.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in Florida but I did maintain aquariums in Washington and Idaho for a few years. First off is a business plan. Find a local SCORE volunteer to help out or a retired business owner. Second find out the local, state, and federal requirements for licenses, resale numbers, and tax requirements. You will have to register a business name and get both state and federal tax numbers. Third find someone to help you set up your bookeeping and reporting to the various tax agencies. This all comes after the business plan that will help you determine if you will be able to make a living or just a hobby. The business plan should force you to ask some hard questions such as how many potential customers are in my area of service? If you live in a low population area you might have to move to where the customers are. The other questions are how much do I need to charge to make a living and will anybody pay me for that service? How much is my overhead each month (insurance, rent, taxes, credit card processing fees, gas, and other expenses)? This is a business not a hobby so research it like your life depends on it...because financially it does! Look for other services and see what they charge. Consider working for another successful aquarium maintenance company for awhile first to learn the ropes or consider buying a good existing business that is already recognized and has a solid customer base. Do the math to avoid getting taken in a purchase of an existing business. Again SCORE can help or a local college may offer business analysis for you. I use Quick books for my business software and payroll requirements. It cost some money but saves lots of time and provides Business analysis in the software. It can also link with Excell and Square for credit card processing via a smart phone or tablet. I could go on and on but take time to learn the fundimentals of business first before taking the step to launch a business. From a hobby to a business is a big step. Make sure you know where you are going before life takes you where you may not want to go. All that said this country is the best place to start your dreams of being a small business owner. I wish you every success!

Kurt Copeland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Intuit "Self Employed" to see exactly what you need for local, county, state and federal requirements for your business. It costs $10 a month and is worth it for tax reminders, renewal updates, operation requirements all the legal requirements to start your new business. Just answer the questions and go.

https://selfemployed.intuit.com/

I use it for my photography business.

OP
OP
C

Cindy_B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys, you are all too sweet. Sorry I never responded its been a hectic month with the kids for back to school :/

Ill look into the information provided! I'm tired of selling used tanks and equipment and want to move into the cooler things ;-P

OP
OP
C

Cindy_B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone in Tallahassee is willing to help me, please let me know!

reefsquared

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend forming an llc. It's cheap enough. it helps reduce your personal liability. Also it can help with wholesale accounts

Justiful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://sbdcfamu.org/

Here is the list of classes pretty much all of them free within 25 miles of your house and happening in the next 30 days. SBDC classes are funded by grants mostly so they are free or LOW cost to cover supplies or books. Attend 3-4 different ones and you will likely learn more than you even knew to ask.

https://clients.floridasbdc.org/Eve...nter=41625&topicnum=0&days=30&sort=L&layout=0

A little free education will go a LONG way, plus you will meet people qualified and willing to assist you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back