Starting Coralline Algae Outside the Tank

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Reefer here.

In my excitement to get started I ordered a tank and all sorts of equipment I needed to get started. Not thinking about it I ordered Coralline Algae in a bottle thinking it'll be part of getting my tank cycled toward the end. Well, it is of course a live micro-organism with a shelf life, and my tank is on back order (arriving late October-November).

Now that I am finishing up my aquascape (dry caribsea liferock) and I am starting to get all my other gear...I had a bright idea. Maybe I will just get a tub from Home depot, strap my lights on, pour in my salt water, add the algae, put the rocks in and try to start growing some algae befoe the tank gets here. From some reading it seems coralline algae thrives in the same sort of environment coral does, makes sense. So I am trying to figure out nutrient wise if there are additives I could/should add. Maybe some amonia and nitrates? Has anybody tried this, or have any recommendations on trying this without having fish to provide 'food' for the algae?

I don't think I have much to loose here other than the cost of a tub. My bottled algae will be 'expired' well before me tank gets here.

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’d be fine to do that, it may be a good idea to let your rock cycle in that tank first, add a little ammonia and some bottle bac then after a few weeks, test, do a water change to get your nutrients in order and then add the coraline starter. It wouldn’t hurt to have some nitrate and phosphate additives on hand in case you need to dose to keep nutrients up. And go ahead and test the water every week like you normally would with a tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back