Starting Cyano or Coraline?

Gigajoulz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me identify this algae during its starting phase? This has basically been moving from tank to tank after I moved a rock from my 20G to my 75G before it was showing signs. Then I had to breakdown the 75G for an outbreak of Ich and moved the coral and invertebrates to a 10G. The purple spots have came up over about a weeks time from a tiny dot to these several large ones in that week’s time. They are colored deep purple, light green and some neon green/yellow dots.

thanks

A48A285E-7796-444F-B99D-78FFE96294DE.jpeg 02DF8BA0-0BF5-40E2-8073-16775E2CD1C3.jpeg 64C70A7F-D8D4-46CA-B7F5-3669D6A58627.jpeg

OP
OP
G

Gigajoulz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock looks brand new so if I were to guess it's cyano...try wiping it off. If it comes off just wiping it then it's cyano
I think it’s red and green cyano, because from all of my research I’ve gathered that coralline takes weeks to become viable once the tank is exposed, if it even grows at all. At that point it would take another several weeks before it spread and took hold in the tank. It scrapes off the rocks easy, and leaves a stain. So I’m left with the only other conclusion of some kind of cyano. The rocks are rather new, as are the tanks.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s red and green cyano, because from all of my research I’ve gathered that coralline takes weeks to become viable once the tank is exposed, if it even grows at all. At that point it would take another several weeks before it spread and took hold in the tank. It scrapes off the rocks easy, and leaves a stain. So I’m left with the only other conclusion of some kind of cyano. The rocks are rather new, as are the tanks.
They're new tanks though so no worries, that's completely normal

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back