Adding orchid dottyback to 75g tank last. Yay or nay?

SpunCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an orchid dottyback currently in a 20g tank. At one time I tried to add a possum wrasse and the dottyback immediately went after it. Took the possum out and put it in another system of mine.

I'd love to put the orchid dB in my 75g reef. Stocked in there is a radiant wrasse (medium), leopard wrasse (small), 2 bar gobies, firefish, juvenile purple tang (will move), and a tomini tang.

Think the orchid will play nice? He would be the last addition to the tank along with a springeri damsel.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've not owned a dottyback, if I every do, it will obviously be an orchid) but @vetteguy53081 probably has or can point you in the direction of someone

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only fish I'd be worried about would be the firefish, but not that worried. My orchid stays close to its hole, so a 75 should be enough space.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've not owned a dottyback, if I every do, it will obviously be an orchid) but @vetteguy53081 probably has or can point you in the direction of someone
Mine was a model citizen until it jumped
Very colorful and of course jumper

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orchid should be fine. Wish I went with one of them instead of the Splendid I had. Still have ptsd from that (un)holy terror.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive posted about this before. Mine was a holy terror would kill just about anything that went in the tank, fish, inverts, was a little beautiful monster. I understand there are 3 (i think) dottybacks that all look very simular and can be sold a orchids i think one is a fredimani if im not mistaken, I do not remember the other. Orchids are supposed to be the more docile species along with fredimani and the other is a terror.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orchid should be P. fridmani. You don't want a purple, strawberry, etc, unless you have a big tank with stuff it can't mess with...angels, tangs, triggers, butterflies

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, question, I’m upgrading to 125gL from 100gT, I want to add a Royal Gamma and a Firefish. I saw a YouTube video that a RG can help school Chromis, not attack,
IMG_6434.jpeg
just school rather than rip each other’s guts out! I’ve got YT,Sailfin and Hippo that are pretty good w/others. I’m also going to get a bonded pair of little clowns, any issues?? My 4 yr old Lemonpeel Angel, who pushes the tangs around will go into acclimation box before release.
My plan, get 125 up and running, let Dr Reef start 4 week quarantine, release new fish, find caves, holes, hiddy holes for a week or so, then bring in current crew, thoughts??
Debra

OP
OP
SpunCoral

SpunCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive posted about this before. Mine was a holy terror would kill just about anything that went in the tank, fish, inverts, was a little beautiful monster. I understand there are 3 (i think) dottybacks that all look very simular and can be sold a orchids i think one is a fredimani if im not mistaken, I do not remember the other. Orchids are supposed to be the more docile species along with fredimani and the other is a terror.
Your orchid was a terror? This is what I'm nervous of. My lfs is pretty insistent that he will cause trouble eventually. But, I have grown attached to him :grinning-face-with-sweat:

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any Dottyback has potential for being horrible. Just some are more likely than others. If someone said I could be given 10,000 bucks to put a Splendid back in my tank I’d be more likely than not to say no thanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back