Orchid Dottyback Compatability

Nuggs99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my IM 25 gallon lagoon back in November as an upgrade from my Fluval Evo 13.5. I moved the fish from the old tank into the new one all at the same time.

Current Stocking List:

2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Orchid Dottyback
1 Emerald Crab
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

The tank feels somewhat empty. The clowns tend to hand out in the upper corners of the tank while the dottyback hides in the caves. The dottyback will occasionally emerge to slink around the rocks, but is not always out and about. I want more active fish to bring some movement into the tank. I would like something to contrast the fish I have, like a lemon damselfish or Azure Damselfish.

The trouble is dealing with aggression from the Orchid Dottyback. A few weeks back, I added a Yellowhead Jawfish and a Rainfords Goby to the tank. They were endlessly bullied by the dottyback and had to be removed in the end.

I love the color of the dottyback and how it peeks out from it's caves. I think it's a beautiful fish, and I really don't want to get rid of it. But what other fish can I add that will bring more activity to the tank, and are also compatible with a dottyback in such a small tank?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A damsel might be a good bet, they are pretty darn tough. Could also try removing the dottyback for a "timeout" in a breeder box or sump then reintroduce him after final stocking is complete.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back