Starting my first reef tank and skunk shrimp molted. What do I do with it?

Linknzelda1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people say to leave it in so the shrimp can eat it but the molt is huge! Is this still recommended if the skunk cleaner shrimp is the only one in the tank? The only other livestock I have is an emerald crab, 2 turbo snails, and 2 coral frags im thinking I should remove it since I don’t have a lot that will eat it. What do you guys think?

7E1334EE-C52F-4C86-A96A-A3E8E02EADF4.png

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just leave it, if it deosn't get eaten, then it dissolve overnight. It won't rot or decay, its just calcium, and the calcium will be added back to the water

This is how I handle all of my calcium depositing friends. Shrimp molts, snail shells, everything that takes calcium out is left in for the animals or the tank to reabsorb (even if slowly). It's just a small means of adding something beneficial to the tank, and like was mentioned, there's very very little within the shell that will add to negative nutrients. I used to do this for my crayfish as well, but shrimp aren't quite as voracious as crayfish and it'll take a bit for the molt to disappear.

This being said, if it bothers you, plenty of people take them out and it doesn't harm anything. A little calcium one way or the other is easily replaced with water changes.

OP
OP
Linknzelda1

Linknzelda1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I handle all of my calcium depositing friends. Shrimp molts, snail shells, everything that takes calcium out is left in for the animals or the tank to reabsorb (even if slowly). It's just a small means of adding something beneficial to the tank, and like was mentioned, there's very very little within the shell that will add to negative nutrients. I used to do this for my crayfish as well, but shrimp aren't quite as voracious as crayfish and it'll take a bit for the molt to disappear.

This being said, if it bothers you, plenty of people take them out and it doesn't harm anything. A little calcium one way or the other is easily replaced with water changes.
Thank you so much this was extremely helpful!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back