Starting my mini harem

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
108594068_10157383573993341_1098191546102913022_o.jpg

Hi guys,

I'm trying to introduce 4 clown fishes into my tank.
Currently in the water column are the OG's of the tank, they were the original 2 from day 1 and they have well and truly paired. The OG pair are also the largest 2 out of all of them.

I actually had one of the smaller clownfish (that's currently in the box) into the water column and there were no aggression from the paired OG's. Although the smaller one and third wheeler did show agression and started bashing the box on the top right, till its mouth was nearly ripped open. So I decided to take him out of the water column and into the box for him/her to calm down.

I've decided to house the 4 other clowns in their own boxes, and possibly block out the sides so they do not see any other clownfish (advisable?).

I was thinking after a month I will let them all out at the same time into the column.

Of course I'm here to ask for advice and recommendations from my current position.

Last edited:

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t heard a ton of success stories of a true harem when adding them over time. It works best if you acquire them together and house them together at the same time ime. I have 5 in my 40b, they act as a true harem, I’m excited for them to start breeding :)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t heard a ton of success stories of a true harem when adding them over time. It works best if you acquire them together and house them together at the same time ime. I have 5 in my 40b, they act as a true harem, I’m excited for them to start breeding :)

You've managed to keep 5 in a happy group, you must share all your secrets!!;Bookworm;Writing

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've managed to keep 5 in a happy group, you must share all your secrets!!;Bookworm;Writing
Lol. I bought and added them at the same time to my 40b which has a Hawaiian flame angel. I have a lot of gonioporas and euphyllia which the clowns like to hangout in. I have a bta that hosts one of the clowns at night. They all swim together during the day and rub themselves in the goni’s. I feed frozen twice a day. Idk. No big secrets haha.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I bought and added them at the same time to my 40b which has a Hawaiian flame angel. I have a lot of gonioporas and euphyllia which the clowns like to hangout in. I have a bta that hosts one of the clowns at night. They all swim together during the day and rub themselves in the goni’s. I feed frozen twice a day. Idk. No big secrets haha.

How long have you had them? You always hear the horror stories of two of them pairing up and killing off the others. I wanted to do a small group in my 120 gallon but didn't think it was possible

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had them? You always hear the horror stories of two of them pairing up and killing off the others. I wanted to do a small group in my 120 gallon but didn't think it was possible
Just since February ;Facepalm, I feel like I’ve had them longer. Haha. So far so good though :)

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
if you have good enough environment for the clowns you can pack them out I only have 8 in my harem right now but there will be more but there’s also 10 magnifica anemones in there for them to hide in so there really isn’t any fighting I also have 5 saddle back clowns that do great together in my Haddoni tank :)

82F7EC23-CDCC-444B-BCC9-8611133FE2D4.jpeg

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Would love a video of the tank if you can post one I still haven’t figured out how to add video

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back