Starting my reefer 525xl back up

  • Thread starter Thread starter sailfish72
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

sailfish72

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 8, 2025
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I purchased a red sea reefer 525xl back in 2018 and had it filled until around 2020. Since then I've been moving around alot and haven't had a chance to start the tank back up. The tank was kept indoors for most of the downtime. Except for about one year it was kept in an outdoor storage container. I don't know what temperatures were going on in this container. Reading about all the red sea issues, I was concerned about the silicone in the tank as well as in my sump. I would like to keep the glass/cabinet though and would like to hear what I can do to safely start my reef again.

Also, I have had my equipment just laying around in a box in my garage (pumps, powerheads, heaters, etc). I did not clean them properly for storage so Im also worried that the salt might had messed them up. I also still have my rock from before which also is just sitting in my garage.
 
Congratulations on the restart of an adventure! I would recommend a bath in citric acid solution for all of your parts using the powerheads for agitation. You could soak your rock in a bleach or acid solution, but if they have been dry for six years then it is unlikely that anything is still living in or on them. Good luck!
 
hate to be the bearer of potentially bad news, but there are a lot of seam failures with these tanks... While I 100% want you to restart, I'd do some searching, and see if you might want to switch lanes to a different tank vendor.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new