Starting new aquarium

nathanb25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone! I’m about to start pouring water into my new aquarium. My new aquarium is 100 gallons with a 40 gallon sump. I have a big Red Sea reef mat, Red Sea protein skimmer (which doesn’t run the gph I now know I should have) My current tank is a 40 gallon with just canister filter. The canister filter works okay, but you have to clean it a lot! It’s a pain to clean so easy to neglect. I had to leave town for two weeks and got nailed with algae. Now with my blues on it doesn’t look terrible anymore, just looks purple. Is that good, or is coralline always purple, even in white lights? My coral are growing great though, so something is going right.

I want to know how y’all would start you aquarium if you could do everything you want to keep as much ugly as possible away? I am getting cheto for my fuge, I am transferring rocks from my current tank, maybe a little sand, I have a reef mat roller now, and much better filtration. I have a ton of pods in my current tank, but also have algae. I also need to know what’s best to put into the fuge. I was going to do the triton method, and I’m still interested in that. Would I have to remove the mat roller to do triton? Look forward to everyone’s responses! Anything y’all can add will help for sure!

OP
OP
nathanb25

nathanb25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline is generally shades of purple/pink, yes. No, you don't need to remove the fleece roller for any method (Triton or otherwise).
Yeah, I actually found coralline on my rocks. It’s in small patches, but it’s starting. Kinda sucks, as soon as it starts I get my new aquarium. Okay great! I’m glad to hear that.

OP
OP
nathanb25

nathanb25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to just move the old rocks across...
So with even the small amount of coil line on the rocks do they help a lot? I also moved some sand. I just want to get the most I can out of my other aquarium because it’s really starting to do good. I just started it in December and I have coralline growing, Acropora growing great, and lots of pods.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with even the small amount of coil line on the rocks do they help a lot? I also moved some sand. I just want to get the most I can out of my other aquarium because it’s really starting to do good. I just started it in December and I have coralline growing, Acropora growing great, and lots of pods.
Yea, most of your bio filter is in the rocks as opposed to the sand.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back