Fleece roller VS Skimmer

Roller mat VS Skimmer or both?

• Total voters

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I installed my first fleece roller on my RS 200 Max and was super excited about it. It works great however I found that the skimmer (RS 300) just doesn’t pull anything out of the tank. My assumption is the roller mat is doing a vast majority of the work.

Now for the current dilemma. I have a RS 1200 on my RS 900 tank and spending the money doesn’t seem worth it to buy a skimmer since the roller mat does so much work. HOWEVER I’m starting to set up other equipment that having a skimmer would be helpful for ( dosing lanthanum chloride and kalkwasser) .

What thoughts and experiences do people have with vastly undersizing their skimmer when using a roller mat? Is it better to under size of just size it correctly?

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your bioload will eventually be considered medium or higher, getting a skimmer would be a good idea even if it produces a low amount of skimmate (after adjustments) since it's another source of dissolved oxygen for the system at the very worst.

As far as undersizing it thats a bit of a tougher call depending on ac vs dc skimmer.
With an ac skimmer (since they usually have less degrees of control) undersizing slightly (based on bioload) would be a good idea.
If you have a dc skimmer in mind then going for the right size is more likely to work without undersizing(depending on bioload) since you can do additional forms of adjustment to get it to perform properly (pump speed + water output vs just water output)

SheldonC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having this same dilemma and am weighing my options between having a skimmer or fuge, as only one can fit.

OP
OP
KHH

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m starting to think outside of the $ there is no reason to not add one.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled my roller and left the skimmer. A couple of months after adding the roller my corals started looking rough and it was the only change made. I think the roller is pulling too much out of the water but it's only been a couple of weeks so too early to tell. I skim very dry when I do skim.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally don’t like the fleece rollers as they strip the water of everything before the tank gets processes it! These leaves less food for your corals in the long run “personally believe this is part of the dino problems” we see today.. a skimmer has many benefits such as oxygenating the water column and helping ph while also allowing the nitrogen cycle to run its course vs a fleece roller:

OP
OP
KHH

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are interesting takes. I get really tired of changing filter socks. I love the roller concept but based on these ideas maybe rollers need to be a higher micron.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having this same dilemma and am weighing my options between having a skimmer or fuge, as only one can fit.
I might be in the minority for saying this (assuming im interpreting this correctly) but if there is only room for one or the other, a skimmer will likely do better since a really small (im thinking ~7"x10") fuge won't usually do as much for the general cost.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are interesting takes. I get really tired of changing filter socks. I love the roller concept but based on these ideas maybe rollers need to be a higher micron.
The red sea rolls which you use are generally a lot more coarse than any other branded ones on the market. Would seem fair to assume theyre closer to 150-200 micron (non scientific comparison) vs others like the bubble magus being ~50 micron (very noticably finer comparing rolls)

OP
OP
KHH

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The red sea rolls which you use are generally a lot more coarse than any other branded ones on the market. Would seem fair to assume theyre closer to 150-200 micron (non scientific comparison) vs others like the bubble magus being ~50 micron (very noticably finer comparing rolls)
Well I would see that as a double win. The fear of stripping goes down and I might actually get some benefit out of a skimmer on top of the dosing requirements I’m using it for.

upon researching it you are correct. It’s 200 microns.

This makes me curious what brand people are using who say their water is being stripped?

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using both for different reasons. The ReefMat takes particles out of the water. The skimmer removes organic waste and ammonia (I am dosing NoPox, which binds to ammonia and is pulled out via the skimmer).

I put the system in feed mode. The return pumps stay off for 40 minutes, the ReefMat stays off for 50 minutes, and the skimmer stays off for 60 minutes.

OP
OP
KHH

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am using both for different reasons. The ReefMat takes particles out of the water. The skimmer removes organic waste and ammonia (I am dosing NoPox, which binds to ammonia and is pulled out via the skimmer).

I put the system in feed mode. The return pumps stay off for 40 minutes, the ReefMat stays off for 50 minutes, and the skimmer stays off for 60 minutes.
That’s interesting. I’m curious what is turning off the reef mat do? It still has to pass through the filter roll? Am I missing something cause I never shut my reef off when I do anything.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started turning off my Red Sea ReefMat 500 periodically to increase nutrients as the roller works too well. By turning off the roller at different times I am tuning it to my systems needs. When it is off, the fleece doesn't advance so when it clogs and the water level rises it just overflows back into the sump. This effectively bypasses the roller allowing me to control my nutrient level.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe other rollers have a bypass valve but the Red Sea doesn't. But, I've found turning it off and on with my Apex probably gives me better control then a bypass valve anyway.

OP
OP
KHH

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started turning off my Red Sea ReefMat 500 periodically to increase nutrients as the roller works too well. By turning off the roller at different times I am tuning it to my systems needs. When it is off, the fleece doesn't advance so when it clogs and the water level rises it just overflows back into the sump. This effectively bypasses the roller allowing me to control my nutrient level.
O wow that’s actually brilliant! I never even thought of that! I might have to try that once I get my skimmer (which I’ve now decided to do). Maybe only let it roll 1 or two times a day. This might be a game changer!

OP
OP
KHH

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe other rollers have a bypass valve but the Red Sea doesn't. But, I've found turning it off and on with my Apex probably gives me better control then a bypass valve anyway.
Can’t you just program it in the RS app to roll on a schedule?

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O wow that’s actually brilliant! I never even thought of that! I might have to try that once I get my skimmer (which I’ve now decided to do). Maybe only let it roll 1 or two times a day. This might be a game changer!
As for the skimmer, mine doesn't really pull much of anything out but because I have it plumbed outside to pull fresh air it gives me a ph boost.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t you just program it in the RS app to roll on a schedule?
I am not aware of that function. All I've been able to change is how much of the fleece advances when it does advance. You very well may be able to schedule off/on with the Reef Beat App but I have just done it with my Apex.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back