Starting Nopox

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

newmonium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started dosing Nopox as my nitrates are above 50. My phosphates we're at .4 and have lowered to .17 by using gfo and water changes but nitrates haven't budged. I gave away my Fox face book(reasons unrelated to nitrates but definitely lowered my bio load) and drastically decreased my feeding. I have 80 gal of water volume. Using the instructions, I should dose approximately 10 ml of Nopox daily for the first week and then test again right? Also, since the export of phosphate is a slower process, I should be able to (at least for the short term) keep my gfo online for phosphate management and further reduction, correct? I would like to get my levels to 3-5 nitrate and less than .1 phosphate. Thanks in advance!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Nopox you need to wet skim to remove the nutrients more effectively and once it’s running the ideal colour of the skimmate is like a weak tea (don’t try it!! Lol) so yes your good with the skimmer

Nopox is a very powerful weapon, but just be patient as the bacterial colonies establish and keep dosing. In my case I have a very high bioload and increase the dose by around 1ml per day per week, until the nitrates start to drop and then I maintain and adjust as necessary with the normal weekly testing. Just remember small adjustments at a time and if you get any bacterial blooms like cloudy water or slime, just back off a ml or so.

Nopox is very effective at Nitrate reduction, but less so with phosphate, so many of us run GFO along side it, otherwise you may have phosphate issues. I use rhowaphos and lock my phosphates at around 0.03ppm with no issues. Just remember you need to change the GFO regularly until you get to the low levels you want

Remember, be patient as it may take several weeks to get established and go very slowly. And ask if your unsure.

Jamie Allbritton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along as I'm in the same situation. Nitrates at 6.00 phosphates at 0.8. Dosing Nopox since Sunday testing later today to see the results.

OP
OP
newmonium

newmonium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Nopox you need to wet skim to remove the nutrients more effectively and once it’s running the ideal colour of the skimmate is like a weak tea (don’t try it!! Lol) so yes your good with the skimmer

Nopox is a very powerful weapon, but just be patient as the bacterial colonies establish and keep dosing. In my case I have a very high bioload and increase the dose by around 1ml per day per week, until the nitrates start to drop and then I maintain and adjust as necessary with the normal weekly testing. Just remember small adjustments at a time and if you get any bacterial blooms like cloudy water or slime, just back off a ml or so.

Nopox is very effective at Nitrate reduction, but less so with phosphate, so many of us run GFO along side it, otherwise you may have phosphate issues. I use rhowaphos and lock my phosphates at around 0.03ppm with no issues. Just remember you need to change the GFO regularly until you get to the low levels you want

Remember, be patient as it may take several weeks to get established and go very slowly. And ask if your unsure.
So should I have started with a half dose instead of by the instructions?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I have started with a half dose instead of by the instructions?
Just follow the instructions on the dosage to start out, so full dosage for a few weeks and see what happens.

You should see a result after a few weeks and then just adjust as necessary. All systems are different but if you need to increase the dose then just do it slowly.

OP
OP
newmonium

newmonium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just follow the instructions on the dosage to start out, so full dosage for a few weeks and see what happens.

You should see a result after a few weeks and then just adjust as necessary. All systems are different but if you need to increase the dose then just do it slowly.
Hopefully I shouldn't have to increase. The label says 3 ml per 25 gal for anything over ten. I'm getting straight purple color on my red Sea test so I know I'm over 50. Hopefully I'll be back in range in a few weeks. Thanks!

OP
OP
newmonium

newmonium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should I stay on the maximum dose? my red Sea test kit has gone from solid purple that I could not see through to a cross between purplish pink that is easy to see through. The nopox is clearly working, as I estimate my new level to be somewhere in the 20s. Should I continue the max dose until I hit my target level?

rhastareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add to stop running GFO. You need some po4 in the system to allow the bacteria to eat up the no3. My system doesn't like it when po4 bottoms out and makes it very apparent

Last edited:
OP
OP
newmonium

newmonium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add to stop running GFO. You need some po4 in the system to allow the bacteria to eat up the no3. My system doesn't like it when po4 bottoms out and makes it very apparent
My po4 is still at .12 with Hanna phosphate checker...still take gfo offline?

rhastareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My po4 is still at .12 with Hanna phosphate checker...still take gfo offline?
Maybe I'd wait until it hits .10 but stuff other than sps might start getting moody around .03ish just keep that in mind with your no3 target, they need to be kept balanced

OP
OP
newmonium

newmonium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested no3 again. Higher than I thought. Skimming like crazy. Was hopeful they'd drop quickly in the past 10 days.

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Make sure you are doing the red sea nitrate test correctly, if you are over 4ppm nitrate you need to do the diluted test for high range.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back