Starting off new tank from old one and beginning triton method.

reyokonova

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lets jump into it,

Moving from a 29 gallon cube that's been established for 8 years to a 80 gallon and alot has changed in the industry. I will use the Triton method on the new tank and have set everything up with this in mind. As of now i have 80LB of live sand in the new tank I moved about 40Lb of live rock from the old tank to the new and added about another 50LB of cured dry rock and brought over 15 gallons of water from the old tank to the new and added microbelift niteout II for good measure and I have a single clownfish brought over from the old tank I have the 10 times turnover big sump for chaeto with a grapefruit size ball and led grow light with the red and blue spectrum set for 8 hours at night have a skimmer that's rated for 100 gallons heavy load and running media reactors with carbon and Purigen main light is the current marine IC. my goal is definitely for a ULM tank with inverts softys and maybe some hards in the future so i have a few questions and looking for suggestions or anything I may have missed.
1 when should i start dosing core 7?
2 when should i expect this tank to cycle or will it?
3 should i and when should i add pods how many?
4 filter socks or no socks with triton method.
5 when should i start lighting the main tank and how long?
6 when should i start seeding additional coralline?
7 any ideas or suggestions?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see if we can get some eyes on this for you.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the triton method! Great choice btw its very easy to do.

Personally I had issues at the beginning with nutrients, my cheato just kept dieing and dieing. But I think it may have been lack of nutriants and not a big.enough light! It pushes about 600-800 par now.

The cheato once working will soak up a lot of nutriants, works way better then i thought. Once your system balances out.

I think your tank would be almost insta cycle if your using your old rock to seed the others. Bacteria spreads pretty fast.

As for dosing, this will depend on how many corals you have and how settled they are.

I couldn't even dose at the beginning, now im dosing about 7.5ml of everything daily now. Its actually really well balanced! Like measure dkh and dose all of the kit at the same levels. Every 2-3 weeks i test mag and calc and usually only need to dose it up by a tiny amount, atm .5-1ml adjustment after the 2-3 weeks.

Water changes, i do them kinda when needed, at the start i noticed a differance after a watwr change. But now my system is more settled. I dont notice any difference. I haily rate it and reccomend it.

Sorry bit rushed before work, will come back to this if you have anymore questions

Oh get a dosing pump, this will make life easier and dose the 2 alk elements over a 24 hour period with interferance of 30mins, your tank will be super stable this way

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run triton, but didn't start until,the tank was a year old.
With triton, you measure alk and adjust, dosing equal parts of all 4 core7 solutions. Target 8 dkh. I think it assumes some usage of alk and calcium, so without corals or coralline you should wait.
Also, like @Cool tangs said, a stupid bright refugium light will grow chaeto. My fuge is live rock with 2 inches of chaeto on top, at water surface to maximize par.
Get the fuge going to stabilize nutrients as much as you can before starting triton.

OP
OP
reyokonova

reyokonova

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the triton method! Great choice btw its very easy to do.

Personally I had issues at the beginning with nutrients, my cheato just kept dieing and dieing. But I think it may have been lack of nutriants and not a big.enough light! It pushes about 600-800 par now.

The cheato once working will soak up a lot of nutriants, works way better then i thought. Once your system balances out.

I think your tank would be almost insta cycle if your using your old rock to seed the others. Bacteria spreads pretty fast.

As for dosing, this will depend on how many corals you have and how settled they are.

I couldn't even dose at the beginning, now im dosing about 7.5ml of everything daily now. Its actually really well balanced! Like measure dkh and dose all of the kit at the same levels. Every 2-3 weeks i test mag and calc and usually only need to dose it up by a tiny amount, atm .5-1ml adjustment after the 2-3 weeks.

Water changes, i do them kinda when needed, at the start i noticed a differance after a watwr change. But now my system is more settled. I dont notice any difference. I haily rate it and reccomend it.

Sorry bit rushed before work, will come back to this if you have anymore questions

Oh get a dosing pump, this will make life easier and dose the 2 alk elements over a 24 hour period with interferance of 30mins, your tank will be super stable this way
Thanks for the advise

OP
OP
reyokonova

reyokonova

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run triton, but didn't start until,the tank was a year old.
With triton, you measure alk and adjust, dosing equal parts of all 4 core7 solutions. Target 8 dkh. I think it assumes some usage of alk and calcium, so without corals or coralline you should wait.
Also, like @Cool tangs said, a stupid bright refugium light will grow chaeto. My fuge is live rock with 2 inches of chaeto on top, at water surface to maximize par.
Get the fuge going to stabilize nutrients as much as you can before starting triton.
Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back