Starting off with Zoas: Quarantine

Shilpan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I have a 105 gallon with a few soft corals (just some leathers and mushrooms and a GSP). Livestock is: sailfin tang, scooter dragonet, bullet goby, chromis, 2x clownfish, boxer shrimp and hermit crab plus snails. Plans on adding 2x firefish soon as my final fish.

So now that my livestock wishlist is complete I wanted to focus on corals. And I thought since I don’t want to get involved in dosing and fancy lights yet, sticking with soft corals would be a good idea. So I thought Zoa’s! So I’m researching them from the beginning starting at quarantine.

Would you guys be able to give me some advice on considerations for quarantining Zoa’s? Anything in particular to watch out for? How long and any particular prophylactics chemicals you use for Zoa’s?

Thank you kindly,

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic qt is fallow for ick and other parasites.
IMO , no real need to profalactly treat the tank. You are looking for algaes , and bugs. Nudis for example , have a bout a 7- 15 day egg to birth cycle. IF you see them, or spiders or other really bad guys , then you have the freedom to nuke the whole tank.

OP
OP
S

Shilpan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha oh wow they’re that bad huh? I shall keep a careful eye for those things then.

Ohh ok...dangit so quarantine is 76 days. Oh and will a hang on desk bulb do the job? I don’t have lighting on my QT cause I’ve only been quarantining fish so I’ve just been using sunlight.

Thank you saltyfilmfolks

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back