Starting up a Fluval 13.5

pepelemofo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I just got a Fluval Evo 13.5 gal tank. So far it's fairly stock with the addition of a 50W heater and a Fluval CP 2 pump (which I haven't placed yet).

In the tank is CaribSea Arag-alive Fiji Pink and CaribSea base dry rock. I rinsed the dry rock in a bucket of tap water with a pump over about a day with a couple water changes and then rinsed it in RO water. Didn't rinse the sand, just ever so delicately added it in. :D

Last time I had a SW aquarium I used live rock from the LFS but I'm excited to watch my rock go from a totally blank canvas to different colors. I spent a bunch of time sketching out how I wanted the rock placed and, in the end, just winged it once I put them in the tank.

Now I need to test my initial parameters and roll out the bacterial red carpet!

20210218_180843.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
pepelemofo

pepelemofo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about 4 days I've got a small amount of nitrites. I've been dosing with ammonia up to 3ppm, so I was happy to see some action. I'm not planning on adding any bottled bacteria so I'm expecting the cycle to progress slowly.

I also rearranged the rocks so that they look a little less horizontal and added the Fluval cp2 pump.

20210223_085302.jpg

OP
OP
pepelemofo

pepelemofo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cycle finished about a week ago after I added some Bio-spira (I was getting impatient) and I picked up these three guys yesterday. So far they're acclimating nicely. I may need to move the buttons on the left to a higher flow area but overall, I'm happy that they're happy.
I was going to add a couple of snails too but decided to wait until I see more evidence of food for them. I've got a couple of very small spots on my rock but nothing significant yet.

20210312_100347.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back