Steadily Climbing ORP

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read all articles and posts that say don’t worry too much about ORP fluctuations but I’m curious if there is a point you start to think about it? My tank is only a month old but I migrated some live rock and corals from my old tank. Everything is doing well so far. The curiosity is that over the past week my ORP has just been steadily climbing and just hit above where the apex default alert is set. Anything to think about or nothing to see here? I did start my fuge this week so maybe the softball of chaeto is contributing?

ECFBC530-5BCA-4FCB-BFB8-9E70A14446BD.jpeg

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read all articles and posts that say don’t worry too much about ORP fluctuations but I’m curious if there is a point you start to think about it? My tank is only a month old but I migrated some live rock and corals from my old tank. Everything is doing well so far. The curiosity is that over the past week my ORP has just been steadily climbing and just hit above where the apex default alert is set. Anything to think about or nothing to see here? I did start my fuge this week so maybe the softball of chaeto is contributing?

ECFBC530-5BCA-4FCB-BFB8-9E70A14446BD.jpeg

My 1 year old 225 fowler hits about 425 after the bi-monthly 15% water change then slowly drops down to high 300s average until the next wc. It dose fluctuate about about 25 points daily with the high being in the early morn and low being after dusk. I do have a lot of fish and they eat well. Light seems to affect it as well.

I think its just a tool to help keep an eye on the tanks condition.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORP never gets too high if you are not adding oxidizers, such as ozone or permanganate, so there is never a concern.

Algae growing on a probe can raise ORP.

This has more:

ORP and the Reef Aquarium - Reefkeeping.com

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 168 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back