steel aquarium stand

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ryan Kouns
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Ryan Kouns

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 3, 2018
Messages
122
Reaction score
190
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow hobbyist
I'm new to the form, I'm looking for some help.

I'm going to build a steel stand for a 115 gal reef tank. My plan is to have supports on all 4 corners of course then support bridges across the top and bottom. I'm going to have 3/4 inch plywood across the top for the tank to sit on as well as the bottom for the stand to rest of on top of.

Do you think 1 inch 16 gauge steel is going to be able to hold the load?

Ryan
 
Welcome to R2R Ryan and thanks for joining. I'm not a steel guy so I can't help directly, but I'm sure someone will respond to assist.
 
Welcome to R2R!

I too would go 2" in the legs and primary horizontal supports at least, the 1" could probably be used as secondary horizontal supports and as structure for shelves, power strips, etc.
 
Welcome to R2R!!!
 
Thanks to all of you for the feed back its greatly appreciated.

Ill go with 2 inch to be safe, should I do more than just the 4 corners for supporting legs?
 
I would center a leg in the back and gusset all corners. Alot of tank manufacturers that build their own stands have really nice pics on their web sights you could look at to get some idea of the type of bracing that they use. (AGE aquariums, CTC, etc...)
 
Mine is 1.5" 11 gauge square tube. Sand blasted the scale off, and powder coated. Holding 140 gallons, strong enough to support much more than that.

Initial design:
StandModel.jpg


Completed (so far)

FTS1.jpg


I'm still planning to add bookshelf inserts, eventually... something like this, to fit under the tank

Bookshelf1.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new