Sterilize Copper QT after fish is done?

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Cardinal is about through the first 14 days of therapeutic coper with GC and Metro woven through out. I will be transferring it to a new observation QT tank sometime after.

I would like to get another fish to start in copper again as it takes 14 days. Should I sterilize the copper tank before doing this? Seems like it would be a good idea just to make sure that if the Cardinal had something it did not leave it behind for another fish to get it. How does one go about sterilizing the tank and equipment?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have sterilized every tank after use, thankfully I have several QT tanks. I didnt one time and lost both fish, could have been a coincidence, but who knows.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the cardinal didn’t display any disease symptoms you shouldn’t have to sterilize it before the next fish. Just do a large water change to get the Cu concentration down to 1.0 or slightly lower, assuming you are using chelated Cu. I am on my 3rd such cycle but will take the QT down and sterilize with a 10% bleach to tap water solution, soaking for several hours. Rinse thoroughly and allow all equipment to completely dry over several days prior to reuse. Three cycles is probably as long as you want to go for a medicated QT to prevent a build up of biofilm that could degrade many medications. If you had a QT with confirmed Velvet, etc., you could also disinfect with hydrogen peroxide for added risk reduction.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you sterilize it?
I remove all water then put in new water, tap water seemed to worked the last 2 times, then add bleach in tank and then hook up the pump and filter and run it for a few days, but a day is the norm, then I remove all water again and let it air dry, that's were the sterilization occurs, then I add water again to rinse and run it again for a few days.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back