Sterilizing quarantine materials after velvet outbreak

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all:

I am running a hospital tank for my fish using Humblefish's method for treatment of marine velvet with CP, and I am starting a fallow period for my display tank. Considering how many fish I lost with this velvet outbreak, I am a bit paranoid about cross contamination among my several marine tanks.

To sterilize nets and buckets, etc... the recommendation is a 5% bleach solution, rinsing, and then letting dry, correct? I know that I should also keep all tanks from the velvet tank at least 10 feet away.

I have seen other posts that suggest letting everything dry can also protect against cross contamination. Is letting things dry out enough, or should everything that possibly came in contact with the affected tank be bleached?

@HotRocks
@4FordFamily

Thanks!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all:

I am running a hospital tank for my fish using Humblefish's method for treatment of marine velvet with CP, and I am starting a fallow period for my display tank. Considering how many fish I lost with this velvet outbreak, I am a bit paranoid about cross contamination among my several marine tanks.

To sterilize nets and buckets, etc... the recommendation is a 5% bleach solution, rinsing, and then letting dry, correct? I know that I should also keep all tanks from the velvet tank at least 10 feet away.

I have seen other posts that suggest letting everything dry can also protect against cross contamination. Is letting things dry out enough, or should everything that possibly came in contact with the affected tank be bleached?

@HotRocks
@4FordFamily

Thanks!
Letting everything fully dry for 48 hours is more than enough. Sponge material, or things that can stay moist ought to be sanitized. My OWN practice is to rub in bleach water mix, then let dry. But that's probably unnecessary if you let it dry 48 hours FULLY.

Sorry for the losses, I know that's no fun!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponge material, or things that can stay moist ought to be sanitized. My OWN practice is to rub in bleach water mix, then let dry.
+1 on this ^^^ I soak sponges, filter pads, etc. in the bleach and squeeze them a few times to really work in the bleach. Rinse, rinse, rinse, dry.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 62 50.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back