Steve's Second-Hand 90G Reef

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a long time since I set up this tank, so here's a history. I bought this tank second hand for $100. It's an Oceanic 90 gallon, 60"x18"x18".

First fill on August 22, 2018
IMG_0148.JPG

(December-2018) First set up with sand and rock, CSD100DX Overflow w/ Aqualifter (no idea what brand), a Current USA 6006 wavemaker, Jebao DCT-6000 return pump inside a 29-gallon-tank-turned-sump with a Reef Octopus Classic 150SSS protein skimmer. Lit by a single Kessil AP700.

I quickly moved in the first corals I had in my 29 gallon, a leather and mini birds nest colony
IMG_0187.JPG

My plan was to keep a single coral catshark and a few fish in the tank, potentially upgrading as the shark grew (egg in refugium).
IMG_0191.JPG

(May 2019) After that fell through (I lost the shark a while after hatching), I decided on a reef set up. It was hard for me to let go of my predator fish though. First inhabitants were a princess parrot (Scarus taeniopterus) I rescued from the chain pet store I worked at and an Indian black trigger (Melicthys indica). There was also a Halichoeres melanurus to round off the "big 3" that I had the longest, and some other smaller fish over time, but I was lazy/uneducated and lost a lot of fish (I never really stopped losing fish, but for other reasons...)
IMG_0263.JPG

(August 2019) I spent a while messing with the types of fish I liked (butterflies and wrasses mostly), and as time went on I experimented with a lot and lost a lot, especially corals.
IMG_0295.JPG

(October 2019) I had good success with Heniochus varius, and I began having no success with Paracentropyge multifasciata (still haven't). I was also experimenting with mixing coral with decorative macroalgae, the best was Caulerpa prolifera.
IMG_0434.JPG

(February 2020) I eventually lost the trigger to what I assume was internal parasites, the melanurus quickly followed. That wasn't my wake up call to start quarantining fish for some reason, but everything else was going seemingly well. That is, until marine ich whiped out all of my fish save a Coris pictoides, a ternate damsel (Amblyglyphidodon ternatensis), and one other fish which I don't remember well (I think it was a hybrid indigo dottyback).
IMG_0495.JPG

(November 2020) After that wipe-out (which was finally my wake up to quarantine my fish), I lost a lot of interest and drive, and let the tank go. Lost a lot of corals and other flora and fauna. I eventually splurged for my dream fish, some Chaetodon semilarvatus, which I eventually introduced to the tank. I'll never understand why, but I lost them quickly after that; they lost equilibrium over the course of a day and both died in the same day. This made me invest in a large Turbo Twist UV sterilizer, as this was what I considered to be the last step to being able to prolong water changes. I try to cover my bases for the benefits water changes provide: organic removal in a refugium and skimmer, reef elements in dosing, and water-borne bacterial count in a UV sterilizer. I guess that would put me somewhere closer to the pro-no-water-changes side of things (I think I'm still just lazy).
IMG_0836.JPG

(September 2021) After losing my semis, I entered what I now consider my lazy patience phase. I take my time with a lot now, and let things do what they do. I stopped frantically adding fish to my display for quite a while until I was more comfortable with how the tank itself was going, still quarantining everything I deal with. This lead to its ups and downs, like a really fun bout with bryopsis that flucanazole saved me from. This is also when I started to notice, the less I messed with things the better the corals and other invertebrates did (well, most of them at least).
1649736577012.png

(March/April 2022) This basically bring me up to present.

As of right now, the current fish inhabitants are:
1 Longnose Butterfly (Forcipiger flavissimus)
1 Radiant Wrasse (Halichoeres iridis)
1 Ternate Damsel (yes, the same one)
1 Indigo Dottyback (also the same one)
1 Marine Betta (Calloplesiops altivelis)

Hope you enjoyed the long read, I'll update this thread once in a while with pics of fish, coral, and odd invert developments.
IMG_1271.jpg

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Second time I've dealt with dinoflagellates

I believe it was caused by a mixture of things. 1) My nitrates bottoming out from overharvesting of the grape Caulerpa I grow in my refugium and 2) My silicates being high as I started the tank with tap water and did all my changes/top-off with tap water for the first couple years I had the tank up.

The majority of my big pink birds-nest coral died off, as well as my elegance coral (I was never good at keeping elegance anyway...).

IMG_1329.jpg
IMG_1330.jpg

Last time I had the issue, I added pods and dosed phytoplankton regularly for a week and invested in a UV sterilizer. I've been dosing large amounts of phyto again every day or two and I replaced the UV bulb as it was well past the due-date, but this outbreak seems a lot more persistent. I'm planning on installing a 20" x 2.5" deep-bed sediment filter in the next couple days to take down the silicate levels as well.

Will probably consider adding chemi-pure elite to deal with any potential toxins (as one of my urchins also died) and to take down my phosphate a bit because in a fun double-whammy, Bryopsis has reared it's head again as well. Hurray!

Last time I dealt with bryopsis, I dosed fluconazole and it cleaned it up perfectly without any ill effects. Will probably do so again in the next day or two.

Interestingly, the golden plume gorgonian (next to the marine betta in the second pic) got absolutely covered by the dinos. I thought it was doomed, but recently it has fully recovered. It's totally clean and the only tissue loss was minimal, at the very top and a bit at one of the lower branches. Needless to say, I was impressed at the resilience.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man this article helped me with dinos..

I dose MB7, MB Clean as well as AF Life Source weekly. I dose the carbon (Vodka/Vinegar mix) at night. And get in there at least weekly and clean the sand by stirring and toothbrush the rocks. Took 3 weeks to go from brown sand and brown/green live rock to perfectly clean purple live rock that the calcareous algae is taking off. I haven’t cleaned my rock for a couple of months now and just stir sand weekly as it still has a bit of brown on it but overall my tank is super clean. I believe that adding an array of bacteria and feeding the carbon at night creates an environment where bacteria will always outcompete any nasties. Best of all it’s easy and despite still having No3 of 30ppm and Po4 of 0.1 I have a clean system. I don’t see why you couldn’t slowly dose No3 and Po4 whilst doing this if your nutes are bottomed out.

I like your tank and hope you get it stabilised. Your story resonates with me as I’ve been through a similar journey. QT is a must!

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Added a 4-pump Red Sea doser to the tank as I wanted to really nail down my Acropora keeping while allowing myself to continue to be lazy. I guess money does solve some of our problems. So far I've just set up a head for dosing Ca, using my own standard of dissolved Reef Advantage Calcium. I'll likely set up the KH Dosing in a short while after some testing for a few days.

The dinos never fully went away, and after losing some corals I had been growing for years, cyano took over. Interestingly enough, the cyano carpeting the sand seems to have killed off a lot of the dino's underneath. I will potentially try the NOPOX dosing regimen and see if that helps.

1671461833454.jpeg

IMG_1745.jpg

Still having a never ending side-battle with what I think is bryopsis. Fluconazole doesn't seem to really take it out like it did when I first dosed it, but I'm trying to focus on phosphate removal more so than I had been to inhibit growth instead.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try aqua Forrest Life Source, I have used this in combination with Micro Bacter Clean and after a month or two the bacteria out competes any nasties. I do dose some carbon at night to boost the bacteria. Then the coraline goes nuts. Also give the rocks a toothbrush and mechanically filter as much out as you can. Keeping sand clean helps too. After using bacteria to clean up my talk I’ll never use anything else.

You corals look nice though :)

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas present to myself: a pair of Kessil AP9x's to replace the single AP700. Brightness in the pic looks the same as the AP700, but this is with the new lights running at 50% intensity. Also, the purple spectrum makes the corals and fish look much better.

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1830(Edited).jpg

Acropora cytherea
IMG_1831(Edited).jpg

Acropora spathulata
IMG_1834(Edited).jpg

Wall Hammer
IMG_1835(Edited).jpg

Rhodactis mushroom
IMG_1839(Edited).jpg

Purple Candelabra Gorgonian

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back