Stick algae? Or bryopsis sprouts?

Jason_1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Do you have any idea what algae this is? I am noticing it pop up everywhere. It seems to like frag even if they are new. Its defitnitly a pest algae.

I have had bryopsis before. This looks like the main stock but I have not seen any fan leaves. Maybe Cladophoropsis?

H202 didnt even make this stuff fade.

20200509_150501.jpg

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like bryopsis to me. Regular over the counter h2o2 doesn’t do anything for me either.

Josh_boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40mg of ketoconazole per gallon of water will kill it all. Nothing will be harmed, inverts, fish, corals. Worked multiple times for me. Thomas labs fish fungus should be easy to get your hands on a bottle without a prescription. Crush it up into a powder then throw it in your filter sock and off the skimmer for about 10 days :)

OP
OP
Jason_1982

Jason_1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all...sounds like the concensus is bryopsis. Interesting that I didn't get it all the 1st dose of fluconazol. I dosed at 20mg/gallon. The only thing I can think of is that my tank volume is probably closer to 130g...than the 100 I used to say because I removed a ton of rock.

Josh_boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all...sounds like the concensus is bryopsis. Interesting that I didn't get it all the 1st dose of fluconazol. I dosed at 20mg/gallon. The only thing I can think of is that my tank volume is probably closer to 130g...than the 100 I used to say because I removed a ton of rock.
I dosed 40mg per gallon because the 20mg per gallon didn’t work

OP
OP
Jason_1982

Jason_1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40mg of ketoconazole per gallon of water will kill it all. Nothing will be harmed, inverts, fish, corals. Worked multiple times for me. Thomas labs fish fungus should be easy to get your hands on a bottle without a prescription. Crush it up into a powder then throw it in your filter sock and off the skimmer for about 10 days :)
Any chance you have a link to it? In canada all fish meds are banned from shelves.

OP
OP
Jason_1982

Jason_1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small update to anyone following. I've pulled a few frags out fro. DT and testing fluc... out at 40mg in qt tank. As of day 6 I see little to no change. I am hopeful I see a bit of fading on the color but that may be hopeful thinking.

An interesting piece of info to you. This stick algae is hollow and has a bit of a crush feel when you "pop" it. It doesn't pull and tear like algea. It pops when squeezed. Almost like a bubble.

This stuff is everywhere. It has completely coveted one snail. Recently I pull the snail out and inverted him. I scubbed the shell aggressively with 29% peroxide. The shell was pure white. 2 weeks later he's completely grown over....thoughts?

Josh_boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small update to anyone following. I've pulled a few frags out fro. DT and testing fluc... out at 40mg in qt tank. As of day 6 I see little to no change. I am hopeful I see a bit of fading on the color but that may be hopeful thinking.

An interesting piece of info to you. This stick algae is hollow and has a bit of a crush feel when you "pop" it. It doesn't pull and tear like algea. It pops when squeezed. Almost like a bubble.

This stuff is everywhere. It has completely coveted one snail. Recently I pull the snail out and inverted him. I scubbed the shell aggressively with 29% peroxide. The shell was pure white. 2 weeks later he's completely grown over....thoughts?
Just give more time, honestly I dosed 40mg per gallon like 2x in a month in my DT and it took time but killed all the algae with no effects on my coral, fish, inverts.

OP
OP
Jason_1982

Jason_1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just give more time, honestly I dosed 40mg per gallon like 2x in a month in my DT and it took time but killed all the algae with no effects on my coral, fish, inverts.
You are correct. These sticks are fading to white! I've added more samples to test and they are whitening. It has taken about 10 days. If this is bryopsis its much different than I've seen. Its just long sticks without that fans. But fluc appears to be working.

I'm doing a new tank so im treating a qt for all my frags.

Thanks everyone

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics don’t look like bryopsis to me. Bryopsis looks like small palm leaves, and it often comes back no matter what the dose (Fluconzole anyway). I’ve gone to 10 mg/gal, and it kills Bryopsis just as fast with less effect on corals. I’ve also found that the longer you run, the longer it stays away. I just started a new dose after bryopsis was gone for 8 months (8 months after adding carbon and officially ending my last treatment). I’ll run for 2-3 months and hopefully be good for another 8 months or so.

OP
OP
Jason_1982

Jason_1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it doesn't look like typical bryopsis. It seems tobe responding but slower than I've seen.

The weird thing to note is when you pinch the tubs the feel hollow and a pop like a bubble. Very little effort to do so. This stuff has spread in the tank. It seems to love new frag plugs and snails.

OP
OP
Jason_1982

Jason_1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update. We are making some progress at 40mg. It seems to be disappearing from frag near the top, But this snail has been stubborn. Still doesn't feel like bryopsis

20200624_184039.jpg

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks similar to what I had. I have a few stalks left but most is gone. Not exactly sure what caused it to go away. Dino grew on it, did a couple of two day lights out, one dose of vibrant, blenny took a liking to it. No idea but it's pretty much gone. Still have some Dino in the tank along with the ULVA though.

OP
OP
Jason_1982

Jason_1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks similar to what I had. I have a few stalks left but most is gone. Not exactly sure what caused it to go away. Dino grew on it, did a couple of two day lights out, one dose of vibrant, blenny took a liking to it. No idea but it's pretty much gone. Still have some Dino in the tank along with the ULVA though.

Interesting....i also had dinos on mine too. It was growing 1st then the. Dinos started on the tips. When I boosted nutrients to fight the dinos this took a real foot hold.

Dinos gone algae remains.

I'm testing treatment in a 10g and today in my 90 I noticed I frag plug completely cleaned off. Something decided to eat it..

OP
OP
Jason_1982

Jason_1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update for anyone following along. The fluconale does appear to work on this algae. Even the snail shell is finallu clear. It took about 7 days to notice a change and about 10 days to be gone.

If this is bryopsis its much much different than anything I've seen.

I had to increase dosage to 40mg per rather than standard 20.

Also at that dosage the hair algae disappeared faster than ive even seen

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 110 76.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back