Sticky QD Dry Sides

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg P
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 4, 2019
Messages
2,037
Reaction score
1,749
Location
Burnaby BC
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this has been covered before.
What's up with the sticky dry sides? I literally only had 1 drop of water on my dry side and now it's as sticky as a nest of bees.

I support you guys fully with my purchases and need some feedback.
I have 1 QD dry side on a QD Driver, and 3 x new QD units, and a ReefLink.

Help please @ Ecotech
 
I use alcohol prep pads to keep mine clean. I drip water on them any time I put my hands in the tank.
 
This unit was purchased Apr 2015. I suspect these early units were 'painted'. It started out flat/matte black just as the newer ones I've since purchased mar 2019. These 2019 units wipe right off without removing the coating. These dry sides are the newer design not compatible with the ES controllers (different/less wires on internal connectors dry side to controller).

When I first tried to wipe a drip off the 2015 unit, it actually removed some of the 'coating'.
I've since tried to clean it off with a rag but it's very difficult to remove, almost as if it's un-cured paint. Underneath the coating is the original-looking shiny plastic on the ES units, and it has the full complement of wires still compatible with the ES controllers.

I'll try your idea of using alcohol on it to remove 'all' of the coating.

@EcoTech Marine
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new