Still battling GHA or is this now Dinos??

ChelseaBidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really hoping I am overreacting or being paranoid, but I think we might have Dinos. I've been battling GHA for a little over a week now. Scrubbing rocks with a toothbrush (at least once a day), changing filter sock 2x/day (yes, there was that much GHA), constantly cleaning/emptying skimmer cup, cleaning the glass, etc. Have I overdone it and cleaned myself into a Dino infestation? I never saw bubbles in the algae before and it was clearly hair-like. Now, I am seeing lots of bubbles on the rocks and it looks more stringy. Idk which one I am battling right now. Lol can someone help on identifying which one it could be? I don't think it's Cyano, I haven't seen any red anywhere. We had a super healthy population of pods around the bottom of the glass. They were everywhere. Now, I can't find a single pod. NO3 has stayed between 10-20ppm and PO4 has been between 0.01-0.04ppm. If it is Dinos, not sure how we got it. Our nutrients have never bottomed out. I paid special attention to it while trying to rid the tank of GHA.
20191120_202155.jpg
20191120_202227.jpg
20191120_202334.jpg
20191120_202416.jpg
20191120_202527.jpg
20191120_202606.jpg
20191120_202654.jpg
20191120_202714.jpg

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to recommend you scrub the rocks with a stiff brush in a bucket of tank water best you can. This worked well for me and a few rocks needed more than one scrub one week apart. While the rocks are out I would clean the sand. Good luck.

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have... I’m battling Dinos as we speak ugh! You should get an algae sample under the microscope to know for sure and what kind to be able to fight it

OP
OP
ChelseaBidwell

ChelseaBidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jesus just roll the dice. How long has this been an issue?!? Rock takes at least 6 mo the to cure.
Roll the dice on what, exactly? Getting a microscope? I haven't had the need for one, nor knew I would ever have the need for one until about a month ago while reading a thread on this forum (sorry I am somewhat new to reefing- I forgot everyone was born knowing everything about the hobby). GHA has been an issue for a little under 2 weeks. Noticed it looked a little different today. It literally happened overnight. Didn't look this way yesterday. Not like it's been an ongoing issue. Your comment about the rock- it's been in the tank since before June. It's been over 6 months.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Really hoping I am overreacting or being paranoid, but I think we might have Dinos. I've been battling GHA for a little over a week now. Scrubbing rocks with a toothbrush (at least once a day), changing filter sock 2x/day (yes, there was that much GHA), constantly cleaning/emptying skimmer cup, cleaning the glass, etc. Have I overdone it and cleaned myself into a Dino infestation? I never saw bubbles in the algae before and it was clearly hair-like. Now, I am seeing lots of bubbles on the rocks and it looks more stringy. Idk which one I am battling right now. Lol can someone help on identifying which one it could be? I don't think it's Cyano, I haven't seen any red anywhere. We had a super healthy population of pods around the bottom of the glass. They were everywhere. Now, I can't find a single pod. NO3 has stayed between 10-20ppm and PO4 has been between 0.01-0.04ppm. If it is Dinos, not sure how we got it. Our nutrients have never bottomed out. I paid special attention to it while trying to rid the tank of GHA.
20191120_202155.jpg
20191120_202227.jpg
20191120_202334.jpg
20191120_202416.jpg
20191120_202527.jpg
20191120_202606.jpg
20191120_202654.jpg
20191120_202714.jpg
I think it's just some brown algae, how olds the tank and is this dry rock you started with?

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
We did start with dry rock. It's right at 7 months, I believe. I saw bubbles and started panicking. Lol
I think it would've helped if I read a bit more into the thread LOL but looks like pretty nasty stuff you have growing there.

Think you need to get some more hermits and snails to get you back on track there. Problem would resolve in the next month or so if your parameters are inline. Definitely the best option then the others like having to take rock out and scrubbing it with a tooth brush LOL. I never understood that, because without predators like pods/snails/coraline - that algae will continue to grow.

OP
OP
ChelseaBidwell

ChelseaBidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would've helped if I read a bit more into the thread LOL but looks like pretty nasty stuff you have growing there.

Think you need to get some more hermits and snails to get you back on track there. Problem would resolve in the next month or so if your parameters are inline. Definitely the best option then the others like having to take rock out and scrubbing it with a tooth brush LOL. I never understood that, because without predators like pods/snails/coraline - that algae will continue to grow.
We currently have a 75g with Turbo/Troccus/Cerith/Nassarius snails (5-6 each), 1 Scarlet hermit (banished to sump for eating my hammer), 2 Electric Blue hermits (also about to be banished to sump for showing interest in my birdsnest), 1 Fighting conch, 1 Cleaner shrimp, 2 Peppermint shrimp, AZ Sunset BTA, SPS/LPS/Softie (3-4 each)(Birdsnest/Stylo/Blasto/Alveopora/Candy Cane/Xenia/Duncan/Acans/Zoas)- some of which are not very happy right now. The algae keeps trying to grow over them, but I have been diligently scrubbing it off. My copepod population is what has me panicky. It's completely died off. Even in my sump. Which explains why they haven't reproduced in my propogation container. Culture (fed with cultured phyto) has been going for about 4 days and there's been no sign of a single pod. My water Parameters are below. They've been pretty darn consistent for a while now. Mg and Ca have been kinda low. We're on the Triton Method. Was very consistent (Mg: 1400 ppm & Ca: 440 ppm) until we added 8 corals/BTA almost 2 weeks ago (most were colonies-not frags) and we're still tinkering our auto-doser to get our levels back in range (tiny changes in doses so I don't pee off my nem, lol). KH has been a little finicky as well (was 9.5 dkh), but spikes/dips haven't been too major. It's always stayed within the range below when it has changed. Our fault probably with the changes in doses we've made.

pH: 8.0-8.2
NH3: 0 ppm
NO2: 0 ppm
NO3: 10-20 ppm
PO4: 0.01-0.04 ppm
Mg: 1240-1360 ppm
Ca: 400-430 ppm
KH: 9.5-10.1 dkh

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChelseaBidwell

ChelseaBidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk what else to do, honestly. My pods are gone. I thought I had a pretty good CUC. I've been cleaning and scrubbing like I am OCD. I might just end up doubling my snails/hermits. Along with cleaning my rock out of the tank instead of in the tank and letting the OF/FS catch what manages to stay in the WC long enough. I feed small amounts of our BRS diy chili 3x/day. 4-5 different types of meats/algae/supplements. I am pretty confident I have the bio load to support at least double the inverts. Just don't wanna get to the point of having to feed more to support the CUC. Ugh, I am beyond frustrated with algae in general. It is the spawn of satan. About ready to throw in the towel and let nature do it's thing.

Btw- I apologize in advance for the super long replies. I have a terrible habit of overanalyzing every little detail (parameters/bubbles/lack of pods) and an even more terrible habit of overexplaining info that can be said in 2 sentences. What can I say. Im meticulous^x10 and am cursed with clarification and thoroughness. :rolleyes:;Pompus;Bookworm

Last edited:

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try a tuxedo urchin? Your parameters look better than mine. You could do 1 rock at a time in a bucket to get algae and detritus out. May take more than 1 session. Try feeding less. I tend to overfeed and I'm sure that's where my issues come from. Maybe add pods to tank along with phyto.

OP
OP
ChelseaBidwell

ChelseaBidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try a tuxedo urchin? Your parameters look better than mine. You could do 1 rock at a time in a bucket to get algae and detritus out. May take more than 1 session. Try feeding less. I tend to overfeed and I'm sure that's where my issues come from. Maybe add pods to tank along with phyto.
My husband has mentioned those like 1000 times, but I always shoot the idea down. I'm so paranoid about putting anything in the tank that could harm what I already have. But, I have heard good things about them by several different people. And I am no newbie to the rock cleaning. I've done that at least twice while also cleaning it a minimum of 1-2x/day inside the tank. I might feed smaller amounts, but definitely gonna stick to 3x/day. We have anthias and wrasse who benefit majorly from eating several times a day due to the amount of energy they spend from all their swimming. I'll start tomorrow with feeding 1/2 the amount with the same 3 increments. Don't wanna throw off the tanks routine/schedule too much at once. If it doesn't help within 3-4 days, I'll cut it down to 2x/day. I can try cutting it down slowly to see if it helps at all. Fingers crossed. Definitely gonna feed phyto since I have started culturing it. Whatever we have has killed off all the pods. Not sure I wanna try adding more until I know they'll survive. Pods get expensive! LOL!

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may need longer than a few days at reduced feedings. Try the half for several weeks before cutting down more. Don't want to upset the fish. I've never had my tuxedo harm anything. Has picked up zoa frags before, and snails/crabs. I just remove them with my fingers or tweezers. I understand they may not be suitable for acrylic tanks though.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back