Still cyano?

Clown93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if this is still cyano or something else after I blow off my rock work and sand everyday of the newly formed layer of cyano a brown or red long stringy substance is left over
20240315_200326.jpg
20240315_200304.jpg
20240315_200235.jpg

OP
OP
C

Clown93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell from the pics but I do think it is still cyano.
Yeah sorry that's under white light so you could see it better but my camera doesn't focus that well have you ever seen cyano like that because it's like a hair algae now but it appears too be red like cyano

Upvote 0

anemonalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im Having a similar issue. I'm going to try and order phosguard. And removing visible cyano that is binding cyano. And micro brittle stars to eat the detritus. I need to find a place that sells them where I can justify paying the shipping

Upvote 0

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry that's under white light so you could see it better but my camera doesn't focus that well have you ever seen cyano like that because it's like a hair algae now but it appears too be red like cyano
Interesting. That did not come through in the pictures for me. I have not seen cyano like that. I know that when I’ve tried to remove cyano films in my tanks in the past I usually have to brush the rocks but it comes off easily from the sand. Have you considered treating the tank?

Upvote 0

anemonalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im Having a similar issue. I'm going to try and order phosguard. And removing visible cyano that is binding cyano. And micro brittle stars to eat the detritus. I need to find a place that sells them where I can justify paying the shipping
Cyano binding to the detritus I mean. I don't think my nitrates are affecting it much. Hopefully something works. good luck to you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Clown93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. That did not come through in the pictures for me. I have not seen cyano like that. I know that when I’ve tried to remove cyano films in my tanks in the past I usually have to brush the rocks but it comes off easily from the sand. Have you considered treating the tank?
I'm going on a month of treatment already I'm dosing cyano clean and coral snow in conjunction it seems like there is a very slow change a month ago it was completely covering my sandbed now when it comes back the next day it isn't over taking my entire sand bed and there are some parts of my rock that are clear but not very much space and now this stringy stuff so I'm confused I just hope it isn't gha or bha

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Clown93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano binding to the detritus I mean. I don't think my nitrates are affecting it much. Hopefully something works. good luck to you
So you have seen this before the long hair like strings? It's been in my tank now for a couple of weeks I think it's still cyano but not sure some of it blows off easily but not all the time and there is big patches of it all over my rock

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm going on a month of treatment already I'm dosing cyano clean and coral snow in conjunction it seems like there is a very slow change a month ago it was completely covering my sandbed now when it comes back the next day it isn't over taking my entire sand bed and there are some parts of my rock that are clear but not very much space and now this stringy stuff so I'm confused I just hope it isn't gha or bha
Cyano clean often an alternative and not solution. First thing to do is identify the source. Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high. Often, when there are areas with little flow, detritus builds up and becomes a holding bed for cyano. Water changes are important unlike what s the perception of not doing so which reduces the organic nutrients that feed cyano.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with air bubbles which form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it settles as skimmate. When the protein skimmer has low efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created might be insufficient and can trigger cyano .
- Use of Aminos which actually feed them.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured will act as a breeding ground for red slime .
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is a welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example of po4 and no3 introduction.
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 3-5 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the 5 days, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

Upvote 0

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been fighting it
- 6 months?

- yes yours looks like mine.

Ive had 2 sucessful tanks in the past, never had to deal with cyano. Until now.

The cyano in my tank is localized to the sand bed.

When I stir up the bed it will attach to the rocks, then I blow it off.

I'm using mb7 and caco3 for a diy coral snow.

I'm trying a new method out, 15 min before the lights go out I baste the sand bed. Filter sock is removed an hour later. Skimmer runs the whole time.

Check this out:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Clown93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano clean often an alternative and not solution. First thing to do is identify the source. Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high. Often, when there are areas with little flow, detritus builds up and becomes a holding bed for cyano. Water changes are important unlike what s the perception of not doing so which reduces the organic nutrients that feed cyano.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with air bubbles which form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it settles as skimmate. When the protein skimmer has low efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created might be insufficient and can trigger cyano .
- Use of Aminos which actually feed them.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured will act as a breeding ground for red slime .
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is a welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example of po4 and no3 introduction.
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 3-5 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the 5 days, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.
Thanks alot for your help I'm sure it started because I wasn't on my weekly water changes but have been back on top of them now and my nitrates have been consitent at about 5ppm phosphate 0.03 so that's probably too low bio load I'm sure wasn't the cause as I only have 2 clownfish and 5 mushrooms as far as clean up crew I have 3 red leg hermit crabs and 3 nassarius snail I know that there is dead spots in my tank as I only run my return pumps no wave makers no skimmer and as you said about detritus build up in my sand bed since I have nassarius snail they digest detritus correct? So I'm not sure my cyano outbreak was because of that either I'm sure it came from my lack of matience which I only stopped water changes because of a gha outbreak and read that I should cease water changes because it will keep my nutrients at zero when I should of been dosing nutrients manually and stayed doing water changes so my fault and the cyano was in my tank for about 2months before I even started fighting it so it's a very severe outbreak

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks alot for your help I'm sure it started because I wasn't on my weekly water changes but have been back on top of them now and my nitrates have been consitent at about 5ppm phosphate 0.03 so that's probably too low bio load I'm sure wasn't the cause as I only have 2 clownfish and 5 mushrooms as far as clean up crew I have 3 red leg hermit crabs and 3 nassarius snail I know that there is dead spots in my tank as I only run my return pumps no wave makers no skimmer and as you said about detritus build up in my sand bed since I have nassarius snail they digest detritus correct? So I'm not sure my cyano outbreak was because of that either I'm sure it came from my lack of matience which I only stopped water changes because of a gha outbreak and read that I should cease water changes because it will keep my nutrients at zero when I should of been dosing nutrients manually and stayed doing water changes so my fault and the cyano was in my tank for about 2months before I even started fighting it so it's a very severe outbreak
Nassarius will but often cant keep up with diatoms produced

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Clown93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- 6 months?

- yes yours looks like mine.

Ive had 2 sucessful tanks in the past, never had to deal with cyano. Until now.

The cyano in my tank is localized to the sand bed.

When I stir up the bed it will attach to the rocks, then I blow it off.

I'm using mb7 and caco3 for a diy coral snow.

I'm trying a new method out, 15 min before the lights go out I baste the sand bed. Filter sock is removed an hour later. Skimmer runs the whole time.

Check this out:

Thanks alot 6 month's wow that's quite a while too be fighting it I'm going on a month thanks for the help

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back