Still flashing after treatment in QT

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bluestreak cleaner wrasse and a blue hippo tang that have completed their time in QT. Each went through 2 weeks of copper, GC/metro treatment, and metro/focus laced food. They are coming up to 3 weeks in my sterile observation tank. I noticed that my cleaner wrasse flashes every now and then, particularly during feeding time. I didn't notice if he did this or not during treatment. I fw dipped him and nothing came off, so that rules out flukes, correct? What else could cause this flashing? ich or velvet? But they both went through 14 days of therapeutic copper. The hippo tang does not flash and does not display any symptoms (other than hiding all the time except for feeding time). I put the hippo tang in acclimation box to better observe him and he does not display any ich or velvet symptoms. Any suggestions on what to do? More treatment? More observation? Transfer to DT?

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it every time I see copper treatment,the length of treatment is getting shorter and shorter.14days? Didn't it use to be 16 to 30 days?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dosed GC in the water column twice? 5-7 days apart?

If it were ich or velvet you would likely have seen symptoms by now.

Flukes are more likely to be the issue. There are praziquantel resistant strains.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bluestreak cleaner wrasse and a blue hippo tang that have completed their time in QT. Each went through 2 weeks of copper, GC/metro treatment, and metro/focus laced food. They are coming up to 3 weeks in my sterile observation tank. I noticed that my cleaner wrasse flashes every now and then, particularly during feeding time. I didn't notice if he did this or not during treatment. I fw dipped him and nothing came off, so that rules out flukes, correct? What else could cause this flashing? ich or velvet? But they both went through 14 days of therapeutic copper. The hippo tang does not flash and does not display any symptoms (other than hiding all the time except for feeding time). I put the hippo tang in acclimation box to better observe him and he does not display any ich or velvet symptoms. Any suggestions on what to do? More treatment? More observation? Transfer to DT?

Ok, I am going through the same thing. I have (or had) 3 wrassses in QT. They went through 14 days of copper then transferred back to a sterile tank. My yellow wrasse started flashing first then the Ruby Head and lastly the Timor. I assumed flukes and did two rounds of Prazi which did not work. I then assumed Prazi resistant flukes and did a 12 hour bath in fenbendazole and all 3 did great and were placed into another sterile tank. The next day the Ruby Head was breathing hard and fast and the other two were flashing. I did a FW dip on the RH and it didn’t help him as he was dead in 12 hours. I then re-dosed copper over 24 hours to 1.82 ppm (Hanna checker) and now in the last 24 hours since reaching 1.82 the flashing has almost stopped. I’m thinking because of the quick and lethal death of the RH one was carrying Velvet (Typhoid Mary) and somehow it got through my 14 days of copper and transfer. I don’t see enough flukes surviving 2 rounds of Prazipro and 12 hour bath in fenbendazole at 95mg a gallon to kill the RH in 12 hours. Either way i am now committed to a full 30 days in copper to treat. I think the issue is the wrasses ability to carry illness and not succumb to them and obviously it finally found a way in on the RH. Sorry for the long story but thought I’d share.

The only thing is you have a Tang in with it and that should definitely show symptoms pretty quick.

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it every time I see copper treatment,the length of treatment is getting shorter and shorter.14days? Didn't it use to be 16 to 30 days?

14 days is only suitable of you transfer the fish out of the fully therapeutic copper to a clean sterile QT.

If using a single tank 30 days Is necessary.

OP
OP
puffy127

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dosed GC in the water column twice? 5-7 days apart?

If it were ich or velvet you would likely have seen symptoms by now.

Flukes are more likely to be the issue. There are praziquantel resistant strains.

Yes, dosed gc in water 5-7 days apart. If flukes, wouldn't a FW dip reveal it?

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 38 36.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 55 53.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 3.9%
Back