OP
Natashamarie

Natashamarie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed more.Or get an extra fish.. balancing your param will take time, know what increases what and what decreases what and slowly make changes
Okay, I only have 4 fish currently. Maybe Ill finally add my final fish.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed you have 29G , its better to hold on to the new fish idea. Nitrate will build up over time. What are you feeding your fish & coral? and what all filtration? You can cut back on filtration of double down on feeding as well. Thats a better strategy for the short term. Fish will increase the bioload permanently

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed you have 29G , its better to hold on to the new fish idea. Nitrate will build up over time. What are you feeding your fish & coral? and what all filtration? You can cut back on filtration of double down on feeding as well. Thats a better strategy for the short term. Fish will increase the bioload permanently

@Natashamarie this is some great advice and also from the others.

As suggested, is may be time to look and dosing elements and Ca, Mg, and alk, these can be mixed with you water changes and when your alk consumption goes up you can dose you Alk with your ATO water. I did not catch how old your system is. It took me almost a year of bouncing parameter, until I started dosing. I use the balling method of dosing and have had great success. Besides nutrients corals also need the basic elements. Since the system is 29g I agree water changes might be the best way to reintroduced elements into your system. @Chrisfish is better suited to help with dosing a smaller system then I.

Again, great advice everyone:)

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can raise magnesium in several ways.

There are a number of magnesium boosting additives out there. Bulk Reef Supply makes a magnesium additive. You buy 2 kinds of magnesium salts and add the recommended amount to a gallon of RODI. They have a calculator on their web site which tells you how much to add based on your starting point and desired end point. They have you tube videos on the process at BRS.

I did that for awhile. Then I switched to an alternate approach. I switched salt mixes to a salt mix that had the magnesium levels I desired. After a few water changes, the magnesium levels rose to my target.

Now if you have a pot load of really fast growing hard corals, the salt mix approach might not keep up with demand. In that case, you would use an additive of some sort.

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of corals do you have? I'm confused by some of the advice here so perhaps if you could tell us about the tank and what the corals are doing, it would be easier for us to give you sound advice

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, so the answer is... the comma is basically a decimal point...

To directly answer your question, yes 0,2 = 0.2. I believe the comma is used in Europe and maybe other parts of the world. I'm sure someone more familiar with the notation can chime in.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of corals do you have? I'm confused by some of the advice here so perhaps if you could tell us about the tank and what the corals are doing, it would be easier for us to give you sound advice
I agree with Canadian Reefer. More information is needed in regards to what corals you have, and what you mean when you say corals are not happy. Are corals dying, not opening up, or ? In my opinion your parameters are fine. Yes, magnesium could be little higher, and, yes, higher nutrients might help but these may not be your issue. You might have flow issues, light issues, pest issue, or a nippy angel perhaps. I'd cover all these avenues before I started doing anything

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of the tank in question would be better than test readings for spotting correction options post if possible

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar to two parts which bring up the alk and Ca level, there are Mg additives which can boost Mg level. BRS has their own additive, Seachem , B-Ionic , red sea foundation are some other.
I use B-ionic for two parts as well and Mg
I also use B-ionic two parts and mag. My mag will often fall if I don't dose. Right now I'm trying to get it back up to where it should be. There are several out there. I started with Kent.

TroyMease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why has noone discussed lighting? If that woman had numbers that were close but inadequate lighting for the given distance, the coral will die. j/s

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your perimeters are fine. I would look at your lighting or the water your using for water changes and top off. Check to make sure they do not contain any chlorine or chloramines.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back