Still new to some of this and have a question

jburton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a complete used setup last year, 75 gal tank, refugium, lights, rock, fish, etc. The tank ran an overflow box which I didn't really like and I came across a 90 gal reef ready for a good price so I bought it. So here is the question. I have quit a bit of rock in my 75 but would like to add some more. I have a bunch of dry rock, has been dry for quite a while (months) and sat in the sun for a long time. So what I was wondering is.... Can I safely add some of this rock to use as base rock in the new tank without cycling it. My plans are to put the dry rock on the bottom just to build some extra height, then put my current live rock out of the 75 on top of it. So most of the dry rock will never get any light really anyways. So any ideas would be great. I just dont want to have any major problems moving everything from one tank to the other.
Thanks again.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just depends on the rock. Was it live at one point or is it just dry base rock?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, adding the dry rock should cause no problems for you. A lot of people go that route to save money, use dry rock as base, and live rock that will seed it all.

OP
OP
J

jburton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock I am guessing was live at one time. But has been out of a tank basking in the sun for around a year. I figured I would rinse it, and scrub it all with a brush. But dont think there could be anyway possible that any live matter could be left to cause a problem. The guy I bought my new tank from gave me the rock, probly 150 #s of it haha. It is all bleached out and totally "dead looking" I have added a few pieces of similar rock to my current tank but just a few pieces at a time and never had any problems with it, but I may be adding like 40#s or something here in one shot, so just wanted to get some opinions.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You would be surprised how clean and white it can look and then the death smell that comes from it. Just be careful. Put your nose up to it and smell it good. If it stinks any then cycle it.

OP
OP
J

jburton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do, you guys are awesome, this is by far the best saltwater site on the net.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We lub u too! HAHA! :D Thanks.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth, I soaked my new dry rock in a vinegar bath, and then rinsed with RO water. It was amazing how nasty just simple, dry rock was. Here ya go, this was after about 20 pieces of dry rock from BRS. It looked clean when I got it, but it was really clean after this:

2011-04-02_14-46-51_544.jpg

Miltonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recommend cycling before putting in the new tank if was live at one point imo.

OP
OP
J

jburton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how long did you soak it in vinegar, and what are your plans after the vinegar? Are you going to cycle this rock or add it directly to your DT?? Should I start to cylce a few of the bigger pieces, do some water tests and see what happens? If everything seems good add it to the tank dry or just break down and cycle it all. The only issue I have right now, is my house is too small, haha I have my current set up on one side of the room and my new setup on the other side. I was hoping just to be able to switch everything out at once, and didn't want to have them both sitting around for a month waiting for rock to cure. I guess I could switch it, set up the scape, then tear the rock back out, add the cured base rock, and re scape it.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back