Stinging corals

Mr tooheys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,I have a 150gal predator tank and I'm wanting to buy corals now anyone know off sum good stinging corals

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unusual request…….however, Acan Echinatas put out some nice sweeper tentacles.

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want the coral to sting you or each other? Quite an unusual request indeed. I have a brain coral that sends out stingers that will melt almost any other coral it comes in contact with. Anemones will sting your fish if they are careless. Hammer corals also le out stingers, as will most LPS corals.

OP
OP
Mr tooheys

Mr tooheys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I'm asking about stinging corals is that all my fish are not reef safe and I would like some corals.I chose the path of a predator tank as I find those fish more interesting..at the moment it's a FOWLR and was hoping to mix it up a little with a couple of corals..aka stinging ones so they don't get nibbled on

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cujo corals:

Galaxia
IMG_2564_zpsfe972aa9.jpg
IMG_2543_zpscbc2c075.jpg

Acan echinata
IMG_2182_zps447190ef.jpg

Here is a great thread with coral war pics: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/re...8906-show-your-coral-war-photos-videos-4.html

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I'm asking about stinging corals is that all my fish are not reef safe and I would like some corals.I chose the path of a predator tank as I find those fish more interesting..at the moment it's a FOWLR and was hoping to mix it up a little with a couple of corals..aka stinging ones so they don't get nibbled on

I like your thought process, but reality gets in the way. “Stinging” corals typically don’t put out their stingers until dark. So during the day, your non-reef safe fish can eat away at these corals. So non-reef safe fish will eat “stinging” corals during the day….and maybe at night as well. JMTC

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Reef Safe" is a very loose term. Most of the fish in a predator tank are marked "not reef safe" just because they will eat crustaceans and small fish; a lot of them don't even notice the corals.

Plus, corals like acans and chalices may have sweeper tentacles, but these are mainly meant for coral vs. coral turf warfare and most likely are not strong enough to defend against a large fish. A large corallivore would really only avoid things like carpet anemones, fire coral, and maybe some large brains.

What is your current stocking list?

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back