Stinky Mucus from Goniopora?

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I just moved a goniopora from qt to my grow out system, and through the process I dipped it with MediCoral, and during the rinsing process, I started smelling what I can only describe as dead snail smell (a smell I don't think I've ever gotten from a coral before for sure) And this evening just before lights out, I noticed some of the polyps are shriveled looking. I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this before, and if so, what I can do about it. Thanks in advanced

pH: 8.3 for both
Salinity 1.027qt to 1.026 grow
Alk 11 dKH for both
Ammonia 0 for both
Nitrite 0 for both
Nitrate 0.25 to 0.10 (the largest fluctuation)
PO 0.19 qt to 0.17 grow
Cal 400 for both

OP
OP
Rubymoon286

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well poo. I'll get it out from the grow out and do a heafty water change. On both systems

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't mean the whole colony is toast. I have a colony that did that and fought for a couple of months to save it. In all, about half of the colony melted and it took a while to recover. I think higher flow and targeted feeding of reef roids had a lot to do with my success. Best of luck!

OP
OP
Rubymoon286

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upon examining it at lunch, every polyp is gone or in the process of going. It appeared fine up until today, so the fact that it melted so fast tells me that it's been maybe dealing with this since I brought it home a month ago, and I just somehow missed it in QT. None of the other pieces in QT are showing signs, but I'm going to be deep cleaning the tanks just to be sure that everything is healthy/on the way to healthy.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back