Stir Kalkwasser?

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to keep this short...

I have a 180 and 420 plumbed together with various other tanks (frag, sump, fuge, etc.) totaling about 800 gallons or so. I dose BRS Two Part via a Jebao dosing pump, and Kalkwasser via the same dosing pump. I struggle to keep my PH above 7.9-8.0.

I pre-mix my kalk in a 10 gallon container, which then settles into a semi-clear solution. Should I throw a small pump in the kalk reservoir and have the Apex stir it up every hour or so?

Here is a link to a video of my fish room:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in a reactor, I have it programed to stir for 15 seconds every 4 hours, if this helps.

Just to be clear for everyone, you need to stir because you are using the stirring to dissolve the calcium hydroxide constantly because you are adding new fresh water constantly.

In his application, he is making a settled reservoir and drawing from it with no water addition, and so needs no stirring.

reefinusa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear for everyone, you need to stir because you are using the stirring to dissolve the calcium hydroxide constantly because you are adding new fresh water constantly.

In his application, he is making a settled reservoir and drawing from it with no water addition, and so needs no stirring.
That’s interesting. I just purchased a reactor to raise my ph and have it tied directly to my rodi line. It is dosing at about 2 mL of water per minute, but is constantly stirring. Should I set it up to stir less?

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting. I just purchased a reactor to raise my ph and have it tied directly to my rodi line. It is dosing at about 2 mL of water per minute, but is constantly stirring. Should I set it up to stir less?

If solids are not getting into the dosing line, and if you need to dissolve as much as possible, that's a fine plan.

I assume the delivery is well below daily evaporation? Don't want the tank overflowing if the evaporation is reduced in the future.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back