Stirring up detritus for SPS food.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I've not started keeping corals yet, this sort of information is priceless to me, really appreciate everyone sharing!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built them. I used to supply them to Marine Depot but my acrylic manufacturer moved to China so I don't make them any more.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One must be careful stirring anything up. I use a canister filter used to vacuum out my aquariums. I also use a DE filter also to keep the water column clean when does this. Cleaning is not a bad thing you just need to be cautious when doing it. Thru the years I have seen so many people crash their tank after simple water changes and stirring up the sand bed and having done it my self. I had to learn to be very careful when doing tank maintenance going forward.

There is a nuance here that I feel worth sharing.

If blasting the sand has been your practise from the early months of your tank, it is a safe practise to continue. At every water change, I clamp a maxjet to the side with a soft silicone hose and blast ALL my sand -- even under the rocks as they are suspended on pylons -- until I cannot see in the tank. I then pump out 20% to the sewer line. Yes, many SPS slime up.

If this is NOT regularly practised, then I agree there is some risk in releasing some nasties trapped in anaerobic areas of the rock/sand. Careful vacuum removal is safer.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back