SPS are pale, zero nitrates and still have algae.

OP
OP
K

KatoJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Have you tested the alk swing it causes? 32ml isn't much but if it's causing huge swings it may be a problem also. You doing bi carbonate, carbonate or kalk?
I haven’t tested the alk swing. Can I do that immediately after or wait an hour or so to let it disperse?

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another issue to consider is the ratio between Nitrates to Phos (10:1, say, Nitrates=1 and Phos=0.1). Increasing Nitrates above said ratio can lead to slower coral growth. THAT being said, there are many paths to Nirvana. As stated, CUC additions necessary. Really, what you have is a balancing equation.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I haven’t tested the alk swing. Can I do that immediately after or wait an hour or so to let it disperse?
An easy way to see is test before your doser doses (assuming doser) in the a.m. and then again in the p.m. however it's set up, you just don't want to test immediately after a dose because it will skew the numbers.

OP
OP
K

KatoJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another issue to consider is the ratio between Nitrates to Phos (10:1, say, Nitrates=1 and Phos=0.1). Increasing Nitrates above said ratio can lead to slower coral growth. THAT being said, there are many paths to Nirvana. As stated, CUC additions necessary. Really, what you have is a balancing equation.
That is consistent with what I’ve read. I just haven’t got to the part where I have any nitrates yet! I’m starting to realize there’s more nuance to the recipe than I thought I suppose and like you said, many was to get there.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 104 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back