Stock list for 125g open top tank

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm currently pushing through the cycle on my new tank but have been putting together a list of fish I'd like to add in over the next year. I plan on getting the tank started with some softies and LPS and diving into SPS in the future once I get everything dialed in so I have been making sure to line up my fish choices with that in mind. I'd like input into the list I've got and if there are any problems that jump out at your right away. Also please advise on which ones should go first to last. Thanks!

Coral Beauty Angelfish - 1

Mated pair of Clowns - 2

Psychedelic Mandarin - 1
To go in after a year or so

Green Mandarin - 1
To go in after a year or so

Lawnmower Blenny - 1

Kaudern's Cardinalfish - 3
On the fence about these due to temperament

Azure Damselfish - 3
On the fence about these due to temperament

Royal Gramma - 1

Lemon Chromis - 2
Can these coexist with Blue-Green?

Blue-Green Chromis - 4

Purple Dottyback - 1

Six-Line Wrasse - 1

As you can see I want to stick to smaller fish but I'm not opposed to putting in a little bigger fish that will help keep the bullies in check. Let me know what you think and any advice you have!

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of fish for your tank...The bio load will tax your tank for sure...

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a lid, I would not add fish. All fish can jump and I personally feel a responsibility to provide them with safe housing.

That said, I would skip the purple dottyback and six line wrasse as they can be aggressive.

I prefer Chrisyptera damsels to chromis.

Coral beauty can nip corals, but worth the risk IMO

OP
OP
AWIL57

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a lot and I wasn't planning on the whole group but they are fish I'm interested in and was hoping you all would help me narrow it down a bit. :)

OP
OP
AWIL57

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a lid, I would not add fish. All fish can jump and I personally feel a responsibility to provide them with safe housing.

That said, I would skip the purple dottyback and six line wrasse as they can be aggressive.

I will definitely look into the Chrisyptera more, any particular kind you like more than others? I know the dottyback and wrasse can be aggressive but I figured if they are last in I might be able to get away with it. Especially with the amount of hideouts I have in my rock.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely look into the Chrisyptera more, any particular kind you like more than others? I know the dottyback and wrasse can be aggressive but I figured if they are last in I might be able to get away with it. Especially with the amount of hideouts I have in my rock.

The damsels I currently have are azure, tuxedo, rolland, talbot in the Chrisyptera genus as well as Lepidozygus tapeinosoma. Tuxedos are the most boisterous of the bunch, but cause no issues, even with other timid fish such as dartfish

I love them.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice list! The only thing I would change is I would skip the six line and instead if you want a Wrasse go for the pretty yellow Wrasse....stays small and not agressive. I don't have clowns because I got tired of them biting my hands when I worked in the tank.... LOL.....but that's just me! Keep that in mind with any damsels.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower blenny is an infamous carpet surfer.

In general it's better to put some sort of cover on the tank.

Purple dotty is really aggressive. Switch it out for a fridmani (orchid).

Sixline wrasse should be switched out too. The yellow is a good suggestion.

OP
OP
AWIL57

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the heads up on these fish I had no idea about the Blenny being a carpet surfer, nothing I read stated that. The tank I have came with glass covers but they get dirty so quick! I feel like that really inhibits the light also and makes it tough to keep consistent power on the corals once they get in.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the heads up on these fish I had no idea about the Blenny being a carpet surfer, nothing I read stated that. The tank I have came with glass covers but they get dirty so quick! I feel like that really inhibits the light also and makes it tough to keep consistent power on the corals once they get in.

There are plenty of screen options out there now a days..

Some are really no expensive and look really good.
There are good options for rimless tanks too..

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed on all counts. Seen countless threads on this forum and MANY others about people offering the sad tale of their favorite fish dead on the floor. An open top tank is nothing more than an accident waiting to happen and the concept of jumpers vs non-jumpers is a bad myth in this hobby. The correct terms are more prone and less prone.

OP
OP
AWIL57

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I will go ahead and make some screens for the tank then. I appreciate all of the input on this.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very wise decision, especially with a Wrasse in your tank.

OP
OP
AWIL57

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here they are. Made them myself on the cheap from Home Depot. just have the little spot by the skimmer that is open. Not sure what I will do there.

20190216_094352.jpg

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do around my return pipes is use craft mesh. I cut a piece larger than the opening then cut holes for pipes so the pipes fit tight enough to hold the mesh in place. I then slide the mesh up to the bottom of the screen and tank rim.

Maybe that will work for your application?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back