Stocking 10 gallon

Derek C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on putting 1 clownfish OR 2 firefish in my 10 gallon tank with 15 pounds of rock, cycled. I need a cleanup crew. Do I get snails, or blue hermit crabs? Which is better? How many do I get of each? Any specific requirements for either one? Thank you

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on putting 1 clownfish OR 2 firefish in my 10 gallon tank with 15 pounds of rock, cycled. I need a cleanup crew. Do I get snails, or blue hermit crabs? Which is better? How many do I get of each? Any specific requirements for either one? Thank you

I think hermits are cooler but they're also lazy little buggers. Snails tend to be much more efficient. You can always get both!

OP
OP
Derek C

Derek C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think hermits are cooler but they're also lazy little buggers. Snails tend to be much more efficient. You can always get both!
Is there any danger to getting both? I heard blue legs can eat snails sometimes... Also how many would I get of both?

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any danger to getting both? I heard blue legs can eat snails sometimes... Also how many would I get of both?

Hermits MAY end up killing snails, but in general they don't. Most often it's because they either were desperate for food or they needed to grow and upgrade shells and there were none around for them to switch to, so they killed the snail for its shell. Keep a few extra shells of different sizes in the tank and make sure they're getting enough food and you should be fine. And if not, they're not difficult to catch to remove and snails are generally cheap to replace. You're going to lose snails periodically anyway.

Additionally, I don't think anyone would suggest hermits as being a replacement for snails. Snails are essential to any reef tank. Hermits aren't going to clean glass and are far less efficient cleaners. I wouldn't even consider them a real member of the clean up crew they're so bad at it.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The danger is the hermits kill the snails for their shells. That being said I think you should still get both. Hermits may not be as good of cleaners as snails but they are a heck of a lot more interesting. Especially in a 10 gallon tank where you will easily see them. I would get a couple of blue ones, a couple of red ones, or orange ect. Maybe 4-6 total and 2-4 snails. That might sound a little high so perhaps start with 2 and 2 and see how they do. Generally I think people overstock their cleanup crews. I have maybe 8 snails in my 112 gallon reef but I don't have any algae issues so I don't need a massive cleanup crew.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard!

I would suggest 10 total. So mix and match. I like red leg hermits and then different kinds of snails.

Plan on replacing them once in a while.

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would caution that these cleanup crew numbers should be considered the total final stocking number, not your day 1 number. When your cycle is done and the tank is ready for your CUC, do not go out and buy the full load of clean up crew members. There will not be enough for them all to eat in a tank with no fish and no real, consistent algae growth and some of them will starve. Start out slow. Maybe a couple of snails and a hermit to start when you're done with the cycle. Then after your first fish, get a couple more.

Crimsontopper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give the alternative side. I stay away from hermits, cause they're murderous little punks. I always just end up with no snails and 1 hermit after the CUC battle royale. I use a mixture of snails and it seems ok.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back