Stocking 125 Gallon Reef Tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter bjeffries
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bjeffries

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 23, 2025
Messages
25
Reaction score
43
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to upgrade from a 50 gallon reef tank to a 125 gallon mixed reef tank. How many fish and what kinds could I put in a 125 gallon display tank?
 
What's in your current 50 gallon, and what sort of fish do you like?
I have 2 clowns, 1 six line wrasse, 1 sand sifting Goby, 2 Blue Reef Chromis, I sand sifting star fish and I am adding a Royal Gramma this weekend. I really want Tangs and an Angel in a new larger tank
 
Most bristletooth tangs would be okay in that tank. Zebrasomas are also probably good. If you're keeping coral you're probably best off with a dwarf angel, but even then they can get nibbly. Mine has always been a model citizen tho. Flameback, coral beauty, cherub, flame
 
Biggest angels I would do in this tank are a regal or a majestic. Swollow tails, wantannabe, bellus angels are also good! Tank just isnt big enough for a large angel. I had this same size and realized I couldnt keep large angels due to size and upgraded.
 
Most bristletooth tangs would be okay in that tank. Zebrasomas are also probably good. If you're keeping coral you're probably best off with a dwarf angel, but even then they can get nibbly. Mine has always been a model citizen tho. Flameback, coral beauty, cherub, flame
Thank you very much. Can you keep more than 1 tang?
 
Biggest angels I would do in this tank are a regal or a majestic. Swollow tails, wantannabe, bellus angels are also good! Tank just isnt big enough for a large angel. I had this same size and realized I couldnt keep large angels due to size and upgraded.
Thank you. I might go up to a 150 gallon reef tank if I would be able to keep the fish I want.
 
Thank you very much. Can you keep more than 1 tang?
Many users have had success keeping multiple tangs in that tank size with best success when added together and often better success when of different genus (I. E. Keep 1 bristletooth 1 zebrasoma and add them at the same time)
 
150s are nice-size tanks, if you can swing the cost difference. That extra bit of difference can help a lot with your stocking.
 
Most bristletooth tangs would be okay in that tank. Zebrasomas are also probably good. If you're keeping coral you're probably best off with a dwarf angel, but even then they can get nibbly. Mine has always been a model citizen tho. Flameback, coral beauty, cherub, flame
Thank you
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new