Stocking Advice for Future Tank

Alumentum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I've been in and out of reefing and fish keeping for about 15 years. After running my 40 gallon reef for the last 3 years I'd like to finally invest in large DIY tank. The entire build is a drop of that's 8ft with 1ft being partitioned off for plumbing in a peninsula style. The shallow end will be 12 inches and is intended to be a lagoon style scape and the deep end is 30 inches deep and will have shorter rock build with lots of top swimming space. The entire tank will be 3ft wide.

I'm hoping to get advice on stocking as it's been a while since I've bought new fish. I'm out of the loop a bit I'm sure! I'd prefer fish that are safer with corals but it doesn't have to be perfect. The only corals that I really require to be left alone are mushrooms, leathers and maybe fast growing/hardy sps or LPS. Below is a list of fish I'm curious about and would love suggestions.

Dwarf Angles? I have a coral beauty that's been well behaved. Maybe a harem? Or other species?
Bartletts/Lyretail Anthias. I'm thinking maybe 5 but, I've not ever kept these before. Would love advice/suggestions.
Basslets. I would love to keep a few royal gramma and chalk bass if the tank is large enough.
Blennies. Is the tank large enough for a few? If so, are the Midas and Starry a good match?
Damselfish. I have an azure I'd like to move in if he lives that long. Would it be possible to have a few more? Any other species?
Clownfish. I've always had percs or false percs and would like something different. How are the attitudes of clarkii, tomatoes, skunks and the like? I get mixed results in search.
Hawkfish. I have a falco hawkfish I'm planning to move over. Would it be possible to fit in another?
Are there any tangs or larger show fish that would fit in? Or any suggestions at all! The sooner I sort the stocking the better lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back