Stocking for 240gal DT

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I still have a bit before buying any livestock. Still building the 240gal 8' x 2' x 2' with 75gal sump. I have just set up the 55gal I plan on using to observe all fish before DT and have a 29gal for hospital if needed. Please understand this is stocking thread only questions. Luckily we have 2 places that I can have my fish QT locally but will still have them observed in 55 before DT then maybe us 55gal as mixed reef. The DT hopefully in future will be mixed reef so want to take that into consideration. Here is what I love and possible considering. Will put a * on ones I know I want for sure. Not actually in order I would add.

* 2 Ocellaris clownfish
* 3 or more. Lyretail Anthias
Royal Gramma
* 5 Green Chromis(Blackaxil)
* Fairy Wrasse (Love the Scott's)
* Sharknose goby(how many are possible in this tank?)
* Blennies( love the midas)
* Gold spotted rabbit fish or Foxface
* Yellow tang( would love to try 3)
* Hippo Tang
Naso Lituratus
Zebrasoma desjadinii
A couple more tangs to be decided
Bluechin Triggerfish/Niger triggerfish
regal Angelfish/Bicolor Angelfish or just a dwarf?
Green Bird wrasse or a pair
any colorful small fish? And one day a
Green Mandarinfish
Color is a big deal or awesome character. Want my grand children to enjoy as much as we do?

CUC
I'll need lots of advice cause I do want a sandbed More likely shallow. But with lots of flow we'll see how this works

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef to Reef.... :)

I'd only put one tang in from the Zebrasoma family. But JMO... :)

FWIW:
Have had great success having a Regal Angel.
Ate my zoa's, but other than that, she's been a model citizen.

My Purple and Achilles tangs get along great, but they come from different tang families.

Be sure to buy healthy species from good vendors to get off on the right foot.

CUC
These are a must in my book.
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/564/banded-trochus-snail?pcatid=564&c=497+526+564

Hope that helps and looks forward to other's guidance too... :)

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef to Reef.... :)

I'd only put one tang in from the Zebrasoma family. But JMO... :)

FWIW:
Have had great success having a Regal Angel.
Ate my zoa's, but other than that, she's been a model citizen.

My Purple and Achilles tangs get along great, but they come from different tang families.

Be sure to buy healthy species from good vendors to get off on the right foot.

CUC
These are a must in my book.
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/564/banded-trochus-snail?pcatid=564&c=497+526+564

Hope that helps and looks forward to other's guidance too... :)

Thank you.
I do understand the rule of adding one from each family but, have also read people having success with doing it if added at the same time. Still haven't decided to try it though. I would look AWESOME though. I have 2 sources here that do the Full QT on their livestock and have a 55gal set up to observe QT still before putting into DT. Also considering a black molly for that tank as an extra precaution before adding to the DT and have a spare 29gal incase a hospital tank is needed. Trying to prepare but, I am still just cycling. LOL Who knows where we'll be next year.
Also, happy to hear success with the regal Angel. Love that one.

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally getting some water in the 240gal. Sadly my di resin is running out again. Ugh! And I need some more salt. But at least I can start cureing the rock. Yay!

20190403_140108.jpg

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Finally getting some water in the 240gal. Sadly my di resin is running out again. Ugh! And I need some more salt. But at least I can start cureing the rock. Yay!

20190403_140108.jpg

If your going through DI pretty quickly then you need to change you RO filter!! Awesome looking scape so far as well. I’m working on a 265 right now.

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going through DI pretty quickly then you need to change you RO filter!! Awesome looking scape so far as well. I’m working on a 265 right now.
It's a brand new system from BRS. We had to replace di after about 55gals. Because of low pressure. Bought a pressure booster and water
saver. Pressure now about 80 psi. Now di resin made about 120 to 150gal. And out of resin again. Is this normal, in is 7 and out was 0tds until. Now again.

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Not normal. Resin should last longer. Is it mounted vertically?
20190403_170634.jpg
20190403_170645.jpg
I did just have someone suggest the lines were hooked up wrong and I think this is the problem so as soon as Tony gets home he will have to work on that. Can't do any more water until we get more resin anyway.

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. My 55g is ready for a first fish. Which should I star with? Clowns, Grsmma, chromis, blenny or gobies, or Fairy wrasse?

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok we now have @ percula's, 1 royal gramma and a bi color blenny. They were QT 2weeks and have at least 2wks in the 55gal before they go into the 240DT. Will also add 2 phantoms when I add these to the 240DT at same time. They are QT separately. What should I get after these go in so I can order them and start the 1st QT? Like the goby/shrimp idea or wrasses but not sure which ones.

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your stocking list looks generally ok. Just add the fish in the order of least aggressive to most aggressive. I've found that isolation/acclimation tanks (small plastic critter keeper that floats in the tank) for 3-4 days cuts down a lot on aggression against new fish. Are you treating for ich in QT at all? I've found a 20L is big enough for my QT needs, even with tangs.

For reference, here's my current and future stocking list for my 250g:

Current:
2 ocellaris clownfish
1 diamond goby
1 copperband butterfly
1 flame angel
2 yellow tang
1 hippo tang
1 longhorn cowfish
1 tomini tang
1 saddleback butterfly
1 niger trigger

Future:
1 naso
1 powder blue
1 moorish idol
7 lyretail anthias
sixline wrasse
1 sailfin, desjardini
1-2 bluethroat trigger

maybe for future:
emporer angel
2 bangaii cardinals

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your stocking list looks generally ok. Just add the fish in the order of least aggressive to most aggressive. I've found that isolation/acclimation tanks (small plastic critter keeper that floats in the tank) for 3-4 days cuts down a lot on aggression against new fish. Are you treating for ich in QT at all? I've found a 20L is big enough for my QT needs, even with tangs.

For reference, here's my current and future stocking list for my 250g:

Current:
2 ocellaris clownfish
1 diamond goby
1 copperband butterfly
1 flame angel
2 yellow tang
1 hippo tang
1 longhorn cowfish
1 tomini tang
1 saddleback butterfly
1 niger trigger

Future:
1 naso
1 powder blue
1 moorish idol
7 lyretail anthias
sixline wrasse
1 sailfin, desjardini
1-2 bluethroat trigger

maybe for future:
emporer angel
2 bangaii cardinals

Nice, is yours FOWLR? I am hoping for reef eventually. I would not be too sure about adding the Bangaii cardinals after aggressive fish are already in the tank. But, Haven't ever tried. My LFS is QT for 2wks Medicated unless I order difficult fish that are more difficult to QT then I'll have to figure it out. There is someone that does it in our reef club that is very experienced that I may talk about doing them. Then I put them in my 55gal for 2-4wks for observation and fatten them up before I will add them to the 240DT. The DT is in the middle of it's cycle now so hopefully not much longer. I have my first group in observation and they seem to be looking good and eating like pigs. Noticed the clowns were showing a little aggression towards each other but, not too bad yet. They are small and about the same size so I assume deciding on who will be Coral and who will be Nemo.:D
Thinking maybe a wrasse and/ or Foxface next. Wanted a goby/shrimp pair but will have to decide first if I want a bird wrasse or not.:confused:

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll be a full reef eventually. Right now my only coral is a digitata that came in on the rock, although I’m starting to look at corals. I know the saddleback could be a problem but I’m hoping that the tank will be too big and the damage, if any, will be spread out.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back