Stocking help

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been setting up a 90 gal (4ft standard) for the past 4 months and am finalizing my fish stocking.
Watchman goby
A pair of osolarious clowns (sorry about spelling)
6 line wrase

here is where I’m uncertain and have questions I want a kole tang but I also like yellow tangs, I’ve tease arched and am getting mixed responses on wether I can house the two together in only a 90 gal? If I can’t house the two together which one do you guys think is better? I understand jokes stay smaller but would like to here you guys es oppions

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 has a lot of tangs in his tank (really nice fish!), so he could probably advise better than I. I only have 4 tangs in my tank: sailfin, powder brown, white tail bristletooth and a half black mimic.

My guess is that in a 90-gallon tank you're probably looking at 1-2 tangs (max).

Some other fish for consideration: melanarus or christmas wrasse, flame hawkfish, marine betta, royal gramma, neon dottyback, lawnmower and midas blennies and possibly a dwarf angelfish like a flame or coral beauty.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be possible for a while to keep both, maybe indefinitely, but it will be up to their individual personalities. I have seen yellow tangs go postal on other laterally compressed fish in a 90 gallon.

I would pick one. True koles mostly come from Hawaii, so they are hard to obtain at the moment. Yellows too, but there are captive bred ones. Close cousins of the kole that I see would be tomini, or two spot, or white tail, or truncated.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow will do OK for a while. My Black and Gem Tangs got HUGE and I've seen some monster Yellow Tangs in Hawaii.

What about something like a Chevron?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I have been setting up a 90 gal (4ft standard) for the past 4 months and am finalizing my fish stocking.
Watchman goby
A pair of osolarious clowns (sorry about spelling)
6 line wrase

here is where I’m uncertain and have questions I want a kole tang but I also like yellow tangs, I’ve tease arched and am getting mixed responses on wether I can house the two together in only a 90 gal? If I can’t house the two together which one do you guys think is better? I understand jokes stay smaller but would like to here you guys es oppions
Put kole in first and yellow will be a little more intimidating. You would still have room for a tomini and Maybe a lavender or chocolate but that would be max based on growth and assuming you may want to add another fish or two of other species to tank in the future
If youre adding these tanks, make water quality management and diet an absolute

OP
OP
B

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put kole in first and yellow will be a little more intimidating. You would still have room for a tomini and Maybe a lavender or chocolate but that would be max based on growth and assuming you may want to add another fish or two of other species to tank in the future
If youre adding these tanks, make water quality management and diet an absolute
Sorry I may just be stupid but I’m assuming your saying that I shouldn’t add a yellow and instead go for one of the other fish you mentioned?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sorry I may just be stupid but I’m assuming your saying that I shouldn’t add a yellow and instead go for one of the other fish you mentioned?
You can add yellow, but place Kole first.

OP
OP
B

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add yellow, but place Kole first.
Last question I got for you, I have a good 55 gal tank up and running and am just placing in my rocks from that tank to the 90, once my new tank has cycled would it be ok to add in the kole?

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question I got for you, I have a good 55 gal tank up and running and am just placing in my rocks from that tank to the 90, once my new tank has cycled would it be ok to add in the kole?
Remember there is a high chance of whatever you add first being the dominant / aggressive fish in the tank. So think about that as well.

OP
OP
B

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember there is a high chance of whatever you add first being the dominant / aggressive fish in the tank. So think about that as well.
Would that mean that if I add my deserved fish in all at once that the aggression in the tank will be lower? Would this be a good idea rather then waiting to put each fish in independently?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would that mean that if I add my deserved fish in all at once that the aggression in the tank will be lower? Would this be a good idea rather then waiting to put each fish in independently?
It means that by adding the most aggressive fish first it has time to establish its territory without taking it out on anything else in the process. Keep in mind that whenever you add a new fish how well (or if) they get along really *depends* on individual fish personality, how large your tank is, how well your aquascape accommodates your reef inhabitants, how well you feed and maintain the tank, etc.

I have 50 fish in my tank. These were accumulated over a period of over a year and, for the most part, I have been very fortunate that the vast majority cohabitate with almost zero aggression. I know for a fact I have several fish that should be hostile towards one another (or others) for a variety of reasons - yet aren't.

Strictly from a tang perspective, my sailfin (adult) went in first followed by the powder brown (adult), white tail bristletooth (large juvenile) and half black mimic (juvenile).

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It means that by adding the most aggressive fish first it has time to establish its territory without taking it out on anything else in the process. Keep in mind that whenever you add a new fish how well (or if) they get along really *depends* on individual fish personality, how large your tank is, how well your aquascape accommodates your reef inhabitants, how well you feed and maintain the tank, etc.

I have 50 fish in my tank. These were accumulated over a period of over a year and, for the most part, I have been very fortunate that the vast majority cohabitate with almost zero aggression. I know for a fact I have several fish that should be hostile towards one another (or others) for a variety of reasons - yet aren't.

Strictly from a tang perspective, my sailfin (adult) went in first followed by the powder brown (adult), white tail bristletooth (large juvenile) and half black mimic (juvenile).

Bristletooths are the devil LOL

Tomini was the most aggressive tang I owned...

Tang List : Gem, Black, Black Hybrid, (3) Yellows, Purple, Achilles, Achilles Hybrid, Blue, Chervon (2nd meanest)... might be forgetting one or two...

Oh yeah, the Blue became a pain as well. Lived in my frag tank for a while after it got bigger and turned into an idiot in the display. Gave him away.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about the devil (at least yet, anyway), but he is very particular about the new spot he picked out (several corals were partially blocking one entrance from the front so he made a point of toppling them over and over until I finally relocated them). Bristletooth: 1, Me: 0.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about the devil (at least yet, anyway), but he is very particular about the new spot he picked out (several corals were partially blocking one entrance from the front so he made a point of toppling them over and over until I finally relocated them). Bristletooth: 1, Me: 0.

LOL yeah they are supposed to be pretty laid back, not in my opinion.

Heard purples are bad, didn't have an issue.

Heard Achilles wouldn't get along with same body shape, didn't have an issue.

Never kept a Clown or Sohal, but hear they are the worst. Love Sohals though.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Tomini was the most aggressive tang I owned...

Tang List : Gem, Black, Black Hybrid, (3) Yellows, Purple, Achilles, Achilles Hybrid, Blue, Chervon (2nd meanest)... might be forgetting one or two...

Oh yeah, the Blue became a pain as well. Lived in my frag tank for a while after it got bigger and turned into an idiot in the display. Gave him away.
Having 21 tangs and 2-3 more in the works, I have no issues. You have to stock in order of aggression, least first, provide cover and zones to alleviate wars within tank and funny is my Tomini, chevron and chocolate most docile and model citizens. never had issue with bristetooths other than them trying to hog all the food when i fed

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL yeah they are supposed to be pretty laid back, not in my opinion.
I actually watched this small maroon snout stick out from behind some rocks and somersault a red symphyllia off the ledge several times in a row just after I finished replacing it. The bristletooth (so far) isn't the most aggressive feeder, but that may change as I've only had him for a few weeks.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having 21 tangs and 2-3 more in the works, I have no issues. You have to stock in order of aggression, least first, provide cover and zones to alleviate wars within tank and funny is my Tomini, chevron and chocolate most docile and model citizens. never had issue with bristetooths other than them trying to hog all the food when i fed

Yes rock work is a huge deal. I think the Black and Gem saw each other as competition and just grew huge fast, but never went after each other. The pair of Crosshatch Triggers, although docile, I think kind of were in the back of everyone's mind. Goofy fish, but by far the fastest I've seen something move in the water/tank. I wish I had video of how quick they could over 10 feet, also only 5-6" in size.

I actually watched this small maroon snout stick out from behind some rocks and somersault a red symphyllia off the ledge several times in a row just after I finished replacing it.

LOL Don't you love finding nicely moved and fragged coral randomly around the tank?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes rock work is a huge deal. I think the Black and Gem saw each other as competition and just grew huge fast, but never went after each other. The pair of Crosshatch Triggers, although docile, I think kind of were in the back of everyone's mind. Goofy fish, but by far the fastest I've seen something move in the water/tank. I wish I had video of how quick they could over 10 feet, also only 5-6" in size.

LOL Don't you love finding nicely moved and fragged coral randomly around the tank?
Indeed - crosshatch are torpedos in water

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back