Stocking ideas for a 6 ft 120 gallon tank

saltynewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am going to be taking the dive into salt water and not sure what will work together. At this moment in time I’m thinking a one spot fox face and possibly a clown fish. After that I’m open to suggestions as I am just starting to do some research. The tank will also come with a 55 gallon sump, chiller, skimmer and lighting. Any ideas and information will be greatly appreciated. I am also leaning in the direction of a fowlr tank to start with, not sure about going to a reef tank in the future, as I am new to saltwater fish, I have been keeping freshwater for over 10 years. I will be all ears and open to any suggestions.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have not done so already, browse the Live Aquaria site and start making a list of the fish you like the looks of. They give pretty good info on how big of a tank a fish needs, how easy it is to care for and other useful info like that.

When you see a fish on their site you like, do some research here on R2R about that fish. That should help you narrow it down some.

OP
OP
S

saltynewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am going to be taking the dive into salt water and not sure what will work together. At this moment in time I’m thinking a one spot fox face and possibly a clown fish. After that I’m open to suggestions as I am just starting to do some research. The tank will also come with a 55 gallon sump, chiller, skimmer and lighting. Any ideas and information will be greatly appreciated. I am also leaning in the direction of a fowlr tank to start with, not sure about going to a reef tank in the future, as I am new to saltwater fish, I have been keeping freshwater for over 10 years. I will be all ears and open to any suggestions.
I stand corrected it is a 125 with dual overflows.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that exact tank. My list is:

Scopas tang
Tomini tang
Melanurus wrasse
Long nose hawk
Lawnmower blenny
Yellow tail damsel
Orchid dottyback
Bangaii cardinal

Striped blenny (Meiacanthus grammistes) new in QT

Lots of choices though. What do you like?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of Clownfish would be a good start. Personally I shun the designer Clowns like the plague. Skunk, Ocellaris and Percula are on the docile side.

Depending on your preference for cryptic bottom dwelling fish you may or may not want a shrimp and goby pair.

Smaller sized wrasses of the genus Halichoeres (Yellow Coris, Melanurus, Red Lined, there’s a few of them), Fairy and Flasher Wrasses, the more difficult Leopard Wrasses.

Personally I’m not into shrimp so I’m definitely going to pick a Hawkfish or a pair of them. Flame and Long Nose are two of the best and most popular.

Blennies. Midas and Fang Blennies are more active swimmers than the Lawnmower and Starry Blennies and other bottom dwelling Blennies.

Relatively peaceful damselfish of the genus Chrysiptera and some in the genus Pomacentrus. Yellow Tail, Azure, Talbot’s, Starcki’s, Rolland’s, etc.

Basslets and Grammas. Assessors.

Borbonius or Sunburst Anthias.

Smaller Tangs of the genus Zebrasoma and Ctenochaetus (avoid the Chevron, gets bigger and loses its striking juvenile coloration). Sailfins of the genus Zebrasoma get really big.

A pair or harem (trio) of dwarf angels of the genus Centropyge. Maybe a captive Bred Singapore Angel from Poma Labs, they go for 90 bucks each. One or maybe a pair of a smaller Genicanthus species like Spotbreasts, Watanabei, Bellus Angels.

Cardinalfish. Marine Bettas (Comets).

These are some of the possibilities you can consider.

OP
OP
S

saltynewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the list and ideas seems to be a lot of choices. Didn’t realize you could keep two tangs together in that size tank.

OP
OP
S

saltynewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still pondering what I’d like in the tank. I started a list and it’ll most likely change as I go along. Now that you told me you have two tangs in your tank it makes me think more.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back