Stocking order question

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the early stages of setting up my "getting back into the hobby AIO" and I've decided to include either a percula or an ocellaris clown. My tank will also include a pygmy angelfish and possibly a few other small reef fish.

I know that pygmy angels can be bullies when they are not added last (or sometimes not!) and I'm wondering if it makes sense to wait for a year or so to add the clown, but add it after I've already added an anemone in hopes of it hosting in response to pressure from the pygmy -- or if I should add the clown first, then the angel and then a year down the road add an anemone and hope they find each other.

I guess my question is: are clownfish likely to use an anemone to escape pressure from aggressive tank mates?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that you're going to have to wait close to a year before adding an anemone. On top of that there's no guarantee your clowns will want anything to do with it. I have both and my clowns pay no attention to it. Theyre hosted by a powerhead.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you already read in my original post, I already have the year timeline in mind, but of course, thanks for the reminder.

Is there a consensus on whether or not the presence of semi-aggressive tank mates make clowns MORE likely to seek the refuge of an anemone?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a damsel and flame angel that are both jerks to my clowns. They still don't seek out the anemone. Others have had better luck than me for sure. I've even tried playing them YouTube videos of nems hosting clowns. They were my first fish in the tank and haven't really been aggressive except to each other. Sorry for not remembering your previous post.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think scaring clowns into the anemone from getting bullied will work it’s a 50/50. Either they will find the anemone or they won’t. Doesn’t matter which fish you place in the tank first

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think scaring clowns into the anemone from getting bullied will work it’s a 50/50. Either they will find the anemone or they won’t. Doesn’t matter which fish you place in the tank first
Wasn't looking at it exclusively as a strategy to get them to host-- also wondering if they will recognize it as a source of protection from boisterous tankmates.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a damsel and flame angel that are both jerks to my clowns. They still don't seek out the anemone. Others have had better luck than me for sure. I've even tried playing them YouTube videos of nems hosting clowns. They were my first fish in the tank and haven't really been aggressive except to each other. Sorry for not remembering your previous post.

No worries! I think its always a bit of a gamble. FWIW I have avoided having anemones in my tanks (other than my favorite aptasia) for the last 20 years after I had an unmanageable LTA that eventually ate every fish in the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back