Stocking Order

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an order placed with Dr. Reef that should soon be ready to ship out, so I was wondering on the best order to add in the fish in a way that won't overload the system and also minimize aggression since there are some fish that need to be added in last, etc. My current order is :

2 Clownfish
1 Yellow Longnose Butterfly
1 Auriga Butterfly
1 Flame Angelfish
1 Firefish Goby
6 Blue/Green Chromis

They're going to be going in a 125g FOWLR tank, I'm in contact with Dr. Reef to split it into a couple of separate shipments. Which fish would be best to go in first and how many can I add in at a time to prevent any ammonia spikes?

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put in the goby first, also are you QTing? if so, i would do 4 fish per month, if you cant, then 4 fish per 2 weeks, or ideally 1 fish a week, but you might be able to get off with 2. goby, then clowns (keep these in the same shipment) then the chromis, then the Auriga, then longnose, then flame.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put in the goby first, also are you QTing? if so, i would do 4 fish per month, if you cant, then 4 fish per 2 weeks, or ideally 1 fish a week, but you might be able to get off with 2. goby, then clowns (keep these in the same shipment) then the chromis, then the Auriga, then longnose, then flame.
They’re going to come in pre -QT’d

Okay, that’s kind of in line with what I was seeing from some research. I’ve heard that butterflies should be introduced together, can I get away with using an acclimation box?

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re going to come in pre -QT’d

Okay, that’s kind of in line with what I was seeing from some research. I’ve heard that butterflies should be introduced together, can I get away with using an acclimation box?
you can put them together in the same shipment, and then just put them together at the same time. also to reduce aggression out them in at night

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I currently have an order placed with Dr. Reef that should soon be ready to ship out, so I was wondering on the best order to add in the fish in a way that won't overload the system and also minimize aggression since there are some fish that need to be added in last, etc. My current order is :

2 Clownfish
1 Yellow Longnose Butterfly
1 Auriga Butterfly
1 Flame Angelfish
1 Firefish Goby
6 Blue/Green Chromis

They're going to be going in a 125g FOWLR tank, I'm in contact with Dr. Reef to split it into a couple of separate shipments. Which fish would be best to go in first and how many can I add in at a time to prevent any ammonia spikes?
2 Clownfish - 6
1 Yellow Longnose Butterfly -2
1 Auriga Butterfly -3
1 Flame Angelfish -4
1 Firefish Goby - 1
6 Blue/Green Chromis - 5 ( assure healthy and give them a 60 min ruby rally pro bath)

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 Blue/Green Chromis - 5 ( assure healthy and give them a 60 min ruby rally pro bath)
For the rally pro bath, would I be able to do that during the acclimation? And if so how much should be put in if I were to drip acclimate in a 5 gallon bucket?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For the rally pro bath, would I be able to do that during the acclimation? And if so how much should be put in if I were to drip acclimate in a 5 gallon bucket?
Yes on acclimation and you would apply 1 teaspoon in a bucket

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also looking into having some macroalgae in the tank, particularly something like Dragon's Breath. Has anyone had any experience with any of the fish that I have coming in eating macroalgae readily?

Also since I have a fowlr tank are there any additional things that I need to do to make sure that the macroalgae grows well and doesn't throw anything out of balance? And are there things that I need to watch out for as well?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a stable tank with good hiding places (not caves and arches like humans like) where fish can feel secure and safe, then I always recommend to stock fish in the order that you can get good, healthy specimens. Well fed fish that can hide and feel safe are rarely aggressive and I have never found that stocking order really matters that much - not to say never, but I don't see any really nasty fish on your list.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back