Bangaii Cardinal
Orange spotted shrimp goby
(blue spotted jawfish ordered)

For my final additions, I'm looking at some combination of:
Purple Tilefish
Starry / lawnmower blenny
Sunburst Anthias or Female Lyretail
Labouti Wrasse

I'm dead set on the wrasse, so that will almost certainly be added (probably last, though, given I know they can be a little boisterous once settled in, see my potential concerns below). Beyond that, I'm planning on adding some combination of the other 3 slowly if space / bio load allows.

The primary concern here is that the assessor seems to be an easy target for aggression- I resold my new Midas blend today after a week of it terrorizing the assessor. The secondary concern is my hawkfish beating on potential new arrivals.

I already had a post about the tilefish's compatibility and have a plan as to how to deal with that should I decide on that one. I'm also confident a lawnmower / starry blenny will be fine- I've kept each with an assessor before and doubt the hawk would care about it. I'm still not absolutely 100% sure on the other potential additions, though:

Sunburst Anthias- with its shy demeanor, it seems like it could be a hawkfish target. Also not sure about it and the assessor once it gets settled
Lyretail Anthias- unclear if the hawkfish will care, but I've read they can be aggressive to other anthias so I'm nervy to put it with the assessor, a passive fish that's also a natural plankton-feeder in the wild. I read one instance of a Lyretail sparring with a Midas Blenny, which feels like an assessor might be an even easier target, but not sure given Midas blennies look and act a lot more like female anthias than an assessor would.
Labouti Wrasse- again, given it'll probably be bigger than my hawkfish (which is maybe 2.5 inches, maybe pushing 3) and pretty tough, I doubt anything will give it trouble. It again just comes down to aggression with the assessor. I don't have a particular reason that would concern me, but I want to plan the rest of the stock list as responsibly as possible given that the Midas Blend plan went poorly.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts!

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty confident on the Labouti Wrasse being ok at this point, anyone have thoughts on the anthias?

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HudsonReefer2.0 Thanks for your thoughts! I know this is quite the overly specific thread but it's really helpful to get opinions on this. I just hate that that assessor is just specific enough that it doesn't tend to fall under most categories as far as determine what it is and isn't going to be safe with. No concerns about the hawk and anthias? What was the thinking behind adding both anthias and wrasse together, for future reference?

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Starkii damsel established w a flame hawk, bimac anthias and a Borbonius in a xl300. They play nice. Each fish is different so hopeful it works for u. Good luck

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. I'm a little nervy after that one story I read about a longnose hawk and fathead not doing well together, but maybe an acclimation box would help indicate whether it will be a problem?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back