Stocking suggestions for 40B?

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 Gallon breeder tank with a 20g sump. I used dry sand and dry rock. Tank has been sitting for 4-5 months now.

DT: 40G Breeder
Sump: 20G
Skimmer: Reef Octo 150 SSS
Sand: 1.5" (DT only)
DT Flow: 2400 GPH + Return (Not measured)
Lighting: 2 165w LED Black Boxes (currently a T5HO but it's 48" so going to swap them for the LED)
- ATO in the works

Current Stock:
- 5 Turbo Snails
- 2 Astrea Snails
- 2 Fists of Chaeto (sump)
- Ample rock (DT & Sump)
- No pests seen yet, saw pyramid snails on turbo snail but brushed them off before putting them in.

I'm currently ordering a Alk, Phosphate, and Calcium test kit.
My Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate <2.0ppm

I really don't know where to find common fish information like what the common additions are and their comparability and all. The only requirement my tank has is a Lawnmower Blenny because my mom likes them so much. A small school of fish would be awesome but at my volume I don't know if it's possible. I'd like some seasoned reefer input who may have learned from their mistakes.

So essentially my questions are,
If you had my setup what would you stock as a medium bio load? (fish & coral)
Where do you find all the details for comparability, particular fish requirements, and difficulty?

Also, now that I'm finally starting to ramp things up I just gotta say this forum is amazing. So active, so many people with just constant threads to read and all. Sometimes the information is so much it's hard to consume haha. But I'm so thankful for the forum and all of it's kind and helpful members.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience less is more regarding fish. I run a 40b with no sump and house a yellow watchman, royal gramma, Bengaii cardinal, and a shepards Angel. The key is to test your water frequently to ensure that your bioload is acceptable. Also be sure to stock your tank strategically in regards to the aggressveness of your fish, generally from least aggressive to most.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back