stocking up on 250w HQi metal halide bulbs. Are these any good?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about those particular ones, but I try to stay away from ebay off brand bulbs. Back when I ran MH I bought line 8 20k and they did not match each other imas far as the visual of the light.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The very best bulbs are from EU. Hamilton still have a great line to be used with electronic ballasts though. ReefBrite produces their bulbs here in US, but I normally recommend their bulbs to be used with the ReefBrite system for better results, but still can be used with other systems. Radium bulbs are amazing. You could find some online stores that could send you some other branded bulbs from EU.
IMO there is absolutely nothing to worry about in regards to "stock up" halide bulbs. Those saying that halides will be "banned" or "not available soon" for any reason are just rumors. Giesemann, Radium, ATI, Hamilton and ReefBrite have been affirming over and over that they won't stop producing metal halide gear. Relax and enjoy. With so many people going back to halides it will be just a matter of time to have new companies producing some new exciting halide fixtures, ballasts and bulbs, I hope!

OP
OP
CayeCaulker

CayeCaulker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there is nothing worse than running out of a particular bulb when everyone is happy under its light. I hear rumors of the end is near and wanted to get a 10 year supply.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going to be running 250 watt DE bulbs, I’d looking into stocking up on the Phoenix 14k.

I personally have a 5 year stash of the Phoenix 14k bulbs in 150 watt for my ReefBrite dual MH/LED Jybrid fixture.

If the Phoenix bulbs are no longer available down the road, I’d look into buying bulbs from Hamilton Technology.

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these junk?

I had a number of those brand 250w keep blowing on my electronic PFO ballast. If I recall, it’s actually has an Icecap in the housing, and not had this problem with other generic bulbs (Plusrite and similar). Yes color rendition will not be super consistent from bulb to bulb like major manufacturers. My recollection is that the color wa pretty good, but the bulb quality was not.

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there is nothing worse than running out of a particular bulb when everyone is happy under its light. I hear rumors of the end is near and wanted to get a 10 year supply.
Those rumors were trying to dictate all that 10+ years ago.
With the huge profits made with the LED marketing the tendency of those rumors is to get stronger each day. They want to remove metal halides out of the equation. They want to sell those expensive LEDs no matter what!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 44 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back