Stopping Reef Energy Plus AB+ Dosing Impacts?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting this thread to track any negative changes to my tank due to stopping Reef Energy Plus AB+.
  • 100ish gal total volume
  • I've been dosing this Reef Energy Plus AB+ for over 9 months (16ml per day)
  • I initially started this due to having a new tank with ULN and wanting to ensure some nutrition for my starter corals
  • I believe the tank is mature enough now (1-year) that I should be able to forgo this
The only other dosing in the tank is: 1% daily water change, Kalkwasser to evaporation limit, AfR as needed (0-32ml), 50ml phyto every other day

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I have come to the realization that have saltwater in my veins... off and on for the last 20 years or so...

I know nothing... other then slow changes... and I personally struggle with that daily.

What about lower your dose every week by a ml and look at the best tester we all have.. visually.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you leave it in your dosing containers before it spoils or you replace it?

I put in roughly enough for 7-10 days. It's never spoiled as far as I can tell and I'm not sure it does actually spoil. I think things will grow in it...which may not be desirable.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I have come to the realization that have saltwater in my veins... off and on for the last 20 years or so...

I know nothing... other then slow changes... and I personally struggle with that daily.

What about lower your dose every week by a ml and look at the best tester we all have.. visually.

That would be the smarter way of doing it. However, I suspect that the aminos have virtually no impact on a mature tank. As coral usually show distress a week or two after the stressor event...if there are no changes in my tank a couple weeks out, then I've simplified my dosing and maintenance routine and validated not needing Reef Energy AB+ in my tank.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A definite maybe with a caveat as I prophylacticly dosed Prazipro.

I've lost several corals since stopping Reef Energy AB+.

However, I think a prophylactic dose of Prazipro may have been the real culprit. My ph data shows that photosynthesis stopped peaking for about a week after each dose.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SmartSelect_20211222-094749_GHL Connect.jpg

As you can see from my monitoring my pH dropped as expected when I turned off my CO2 scrubber and skimmer for each 24 hour period after Prazipro dose.

However, post dosage, my daily peaks due to photosynthetic organisms seemed to stop.

It was during this time that I started to lose corals to STN/RTN.

While I'm now getting peaks again during my lighting hours, they are no longer as high. This could be due to the loss of coral or that the tank is still recovering.

I'd argue that Prazipro is not necessarily reef safe and does have an impact on photosynthetic organisms.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I obviously don't mean to laugh at the coral loss. I'm sorry about that.

It's the highly equivocal way your worded the conclusion, that, IMO, ought to be associated with every anecdotal report reefers give.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I obviously don't mean to laugh at the coral loss. I'm sorry about that.

It's the highly equivocal way your worded the conclusion, that, IMO, ought to be associated with every anecdotal report reefers give.

Totally agree.

I just thought the data would be interesting with the Prazipro dosing and subsequent pH readings.

So while things got worse after stopping Reef Energy AB+, I don't think that caused the issues.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back