Storage bin turned refugium?

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Here's an idea...I am hesitant about refugiums derived from a glass aquarium due to the issue of drilling one, but how about a refugium made of a storage bin? The storage bin would keep the lid attached for stability (a hole would be drilled in the lid for maintenance), and I would drill two 1/2 inch (or slightly smaller) circular holes to stick the incoming water tubing and the drain through (from my experience pulling silicone tubing through a hole smaller than the outer diameter of the tubing will automatically make it watertight, but naturally I would test this outside before using it on a tank). The refugium would need to be above the tank, obviously. Thanks :)

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it easier to drill glass than storage bin plastic, but it's doable, use the more study bins, there are cheap plastic bins that crack easily. Tape where you will drill.

I don't think food safe designation is required (myth about water change buckets, they are food safe even though they don't say so).

I wouldn't stick tubing through, use bulkheads to make water tight seals.

Kdub Koral Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Here's an idea...I am hesitant about refugiums derived from a glass aquarium due to the issue of drilling one, but how about a refugium made of a storage bin? The storage bin would keep the lid attached for stability (a hole would be drilled in the lid for maintenance), and I would drill two 1/2 inch (or slightly smaller) circular holes to stick the incoming water tubing and the drain through (from my experience pulling silicone tubing through a hole smaller than the outer diameter of the tubing will automatically make it watertight, but naturally I would test this outside before using it on a tank). The refugium would need to be above the tank, obviously. Thanks :)
It can be a great idea since there is no light spillage. Check out this video. He is an advanced SPS reefer that has an in sump bucket fuge. Its pretty awesome

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm doing something similar using a 50gal rubbermaid stock tank. It is installed on a shelf over the 75gal sump. I used Uniseal for the holes & pvc drain pipes. If I were to redo it, I would drill from the bottom & use a standpipe vs. drilling from the sides. I'm already planning to do the same again for a frag tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back